Talk

Advanced search

what do you do for bin bags?

(18 Posts)
chelle792 Mon 04-Jan-16 12:48:14

This is driving me nuts! We are quite poor at the moment so need a workable solution. solvent but very little disposable income

We have a bin caddy in the kitchen (under the sink) Cant gave any bigger because of the dog. The cheapest caddy bags I can find are 9p per bag. Carrier bags to buy are 5p per bag. I've run out of carrier bags now so am costing to find out what to do.

What do you use? Any tips?

BaBaBaBoomBoom Mon 04-Jan-16 12:53:21

We use bin bags (the big black ones) in our small kitchen bin, then put all of the waste from the other unlined bins (living room and bedroom) and put the bathroom bin bag in the big bin bag so it's double bagged before it goes into the wheelie bin.. Does this make sense?! Aha

Fantasyland Mon 04-Jan-16 12:54:47

I use the charity binbags that get posted through my door weekly

chelle792 Mon 04-Jan-16 12:55:38

That makes sense. Have you costed it at all? I.might have a look at the price of black bags. Wondering whether many of the caddy bags are more expensive as they are for composting

VegetablEsoup Mon 04-Jan-16 12:56:57

we don't use bin bags. we tip the bin contents directly into wheely bin.

BloodyDogHairs Mon 04-Jan-16 12:58:29

We get them free, once you run out if the binmen see a bag tied round the handle they leave a pile of bags inside the bin.

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Jan-16 13:00:52

I don't use bin bags

Food waste is put in a litre yogurt pot
So kitchen bin is only for dry waste; plastic wrap, black plastic food containers

Everything else goes in the recycling bin, a small plastic flip top bin; tins, plastic bottles, paper, clear or white food containers, shampoo bottles ice cream tubs, batteries

So two bins and the food waste gets put in the green waste bin which lives near the kitchen door.

GastonsPomPomWrath Mon 04-Jan-16 13:05:49

Have you considered paper?

I am so sad for knowing this but there are videos on YouTube that show how to properly fold newspapers to line a kitchen caddy for food waste.

chelle792 Mon 04-Jan-16 13:09:07

ivy mums council have food waste collections too. I think hcc should. They aren't exactly progressive. We only started kerb side glass collection last year.

I'll look in to the paper, thanks smile

Cant believe I'm at the point where in worrying over spending 5p on a bin bag versus 9p blush money is not good right now! embarrassing

WoodleyPixie Mon 04-Jan-16 13:15:37

i buy carrier bags as I need them blush although its quite hard to get the ones that fit now, so usually m&s which isn't much good if you are on a tight budget. I don't need them very often, but I still buy plastic bags as need them. We used to reuse the ocado/sainsburys delivery ones for in liners and for picking dog mess up in the garden. but now have to buy bin liners and dog poo bags more often.

Vinorosso74 Mon 04-Jan-16 15:28:01

Random thought but do you use freecycle? You could always post a wanted post on there for carrier bags/bin bags. When people are moving they might be happy to give a load away.

wonkylegs Mon 04-Jan-16 15:31:00

What about something like this www.amazon.co.uk/100-WHITE-PEDAL-BIN-LINERS/dp/B00DVIAD2I

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Jan-16 15:52:35

You could start your own compost if the council don't collect. That way all your rubbish can easily be sorted, recycled and plastic only straight into blk bin

chelle792 Mon 04-Jan-16 19:33:29

ah!! i'm happy to pay for doggie bags bought cheap ones once and regretted it

Freecycle sounds like an amazing idea! The amazon links works out as just over 3p per bag - which is perfect!

And ivy my DH will love you! He's always looking for an excuse to build something! I might buy the white bags for now and then shelve the compost idea for the summer when we ave a few quid spare to build a compost bin.

Thankyou all so much for your help! flowers flowers with mulsh from my compost bin!

winchester1 Mon 04-Jan-16 19:54:17

Do you actually have to bag your dry rubbish? Could you.put your compost stuff in a plastic tub on the sideboard and bin these when full (marge tubs, yogurt, ice cream etc) then just have dry waste in your bin and just tip.it sans bag into the outside bin when its full.

dementedpixie Tue 05-Jan-16 08:07:28

Home bargains do a roll of carrier bag sized bags for about 80p - think there are 40 bags on the roll so about 2p a bag. Called handy bags I think

chelle792 Tue 05-Jan-16 14:58:44

Thanks Pixie. There's one right near me. I'll check it out

ifonly4 Tue 05-Jan-16 15:00:06

If we have food waste, it's collected in a plastic container and put out when one of us goes out so emptied on a regular basis. As for bags, yes we buy some. Having said that we're always getting charity bags put through our door, if they are pushed all the way through they're left on the doorstep for collection, if they've been left in letter box letting cold air in, then we use them for rubbish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now