Did anyone not enjoy kondo book?

(12 Posts)
Onlytimewilltell Mon 04-Jan-16 10:11:50

I have been following, and thoroughly enjoying, the kondo threads since the beginning. I am a naturally tidy person anyway and to be honest am running out of places to tidy in my home grin
I got the book for Christmas, not because I needed to, but just felt it was a nice coffee table book for a neat freak like me.
I'm just over half way through and I have to say I'm finding it quite boring! And not nearly as informative as the kondo threads on here!!
She does sound very wasteful, and I do feel like she seems to wipe out any personality in people and their possessions.

MangoBiscuit Mon 04-Jan-16 10:16:14

The reason I loved it, was because I used to find it difficult to throw things out unless I had a good reason for doing so, so I found it very freeing. To be able to let go of things (recycle and donate, not just throw out) without feeling guilty that I was wasting our money, was a huge weight off.

It was the revelation for me, but it sounds like you were already there, so the book won't have told you anything you didn't already know.

Scattymum101 Mon 04-Jan-16 10:28:04

I'm not loving it tbh.
I like the idea of freejng myself from items that don't bring me joy but she seems very cut and dry about it all an it's a one size fits all approach.
I also don't like the way she discounts the value of doing a bit at a time. That approach revolutionised my life far more than the kondo approach. Before, I would put off tidying or decluttering as it seemed too big a job whereas now I will set a 15 min timer and chip away at something. I no longer procrastinate.

I think for me it needs to be a combo of the two as with two kids under 3 there's no way I can have one massive big tidy once.

MangoBiscuit Mon 04-Jan-16 11:13:33

But her "all at once" approach is supposed to span about 6 months. It's not about spending hours tidying, if 15 minutes blocks is how you work, then you just need to chop down the categories into sub categories that will take you about 15 minutes. Also, I found it to be very much about finding your own "right amount" of things. I have more socks and tea towels than I need, and I still bulk buy things like coffee beans. Both of these things bring me more joy than the alternative. I took it as a one method suits all, but you find the right fit for you.

I think the method as a whole is fantastic, but if a bit of it isn't right for you, change it. (like keeping far more paperwork than she recommends, 8 folders here, not 2. And not following the order exactly.)

SpikeWithoutASoul Mon 04-Jan-16 11:18:52

I couldn't get through all the chapters about her tidying her bedroom as a teenager.

Onlytimewilltell Mon 04-Jan-16 11:56:16

Ha ha I actually feel guilty that I have too many pairs of socks, but if I went on holiday I'd have enough for 2 weeks and then some clean when I got home.
Was discussing her book with dh and explaining that she said even a dress with the tags on that you have never worn has served it's purpose by telling you what not to buy again as it doesn't suit you, but then he questioned why buy the dress in the first place.
Does she just teach you how to tidy or also how not to 're-offend' ?!

Scattymum101 Mon 04-Jan-16 23:36:54

Mango, I think that's the key. You need to find what works for you. She doesn't seem to agree with that though which is what I didn't like about the book.
No music or tv - I can't concentrate in silence. I need background noise.

No storage solutions - some of my storage solutions bring me joy although I do agree that the simplest ones I've tried are the most effective.

Emptying handbag every day - I get what she's saying but I don't have time to empty every piddling thing out my bag every night to put it back in the next morning. I use the same bag for work each day so it would be a waste of time and then I'd forget to take important stuff the next day.

On the whole I thought it was a useful read and I'm trying to take on board a lot of her suggestions but I don't think I buy into it completely.

MangoBiscuit Tue 05-Jan-16 07:35:16

I (mostly) agree Scattymum, I don't empty my handbag, I do NOT have time for that shit! I found with the storage solutions, that actually, I don't need the clever ones. Now I have less stuff (especially clothes), I have plenty of room for it all in our basic furniture. I re-used bits of the storage stuff I had throughout the house, but I still have a lot that's now empty, and needs to go. (Once I've decided which bits I can use for camping)

Onlytimewilltell, the idea is that once you've gotten used to feeling which things bring you joy, and you've got your whole house in order, you'll feel content, and far less likely to buy things that don't bring you joy. Sounds a bit woo for me, but so far, it is actually working. I went sale shopping with christmas vouchers, and despite loading up my basket, when I tried things on, only 2 made the cut, even though they all fit and looked nice.

Cinnamon2013 Tue 05-Jan-16 07:39:39

I really liked that it gives you permission to let go of things, knowing that they did the job you needed them to at the time.

The mobile phone bit, though smile when she texts her phone to say goodbye and then it finally dies. She's totally bonkers. But in such a sweet way.

BugritAndTidyup Tue 05-Jan-16 07:53:17

I don't know; the handbag idea sounds brilliant to me, although I know I probably wouldn't have time to do it either. My bag always ends up stuffed with shit, manly bananas, biscuits that end up as crumbs, letters and leaflets and God knows what else... I can see the logic behind it, and I can also see how it would make me happier... Having a neatly organised clean bag, free of clutter.

BugritAndTidyup Tue 05-Jan-16 07:54:34

'Manly bananas?' I think my autocorrect is Freudian-slipping... 🍌

wowfudge Tue 05-Jan-16 07:55:23

I still haven't read and now don't know where it is. Might try to find it before we move house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now