Talk

Advanced search

Can I do a maintenance wash on a dishwasher

(10 Posts)
M48294Y Thu 31-Dec-15 11:00:38

with just soda crystals or do I need one of them there dishwasher cleaning packs? I somehow feel that those are a rip-off and something perfectly ordinary will do the job just as well. Any tips? Tia.

firesidechat Thu 31-Dec-15 11:04:29

I may be wrong but I strongly suspect that the special sachets they sell are actually washing soda crystals anyway. My washing machine needed a repair recently and they asked if I needed any more cleaning sachets. When I told them that I used soda crystals they just said ok and didn't try to persuade me that their stuff was better.

M48294Y Thu 31-Dec-15 11:33:09

Thanks firesidechat. Mumsnet and the rest of the internet is strangely lacking in information about dishwasher maintenance washes, whilst there are thousands of threads about washing machines. I feel strangely nervous about doing the wrong thing - ridiculous!

firesidechat Thu 31-Dec-15 12:43:51

I'm sure I researched this before I put soda crystals in my dish washer and it was recommended. I've done it a few times and the dishwasher is fine.

whatiswrongwithyou Thu 31-Dec-15 12:47:21

Same here. I've used soda crystals several times and never had a problem.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 31-Dec-15 12:52:51

Also make sure you take apart and clean out the filters in the bottom.,.

goinggrey1978 Thu 31-Dec-15 12:53:56

anyone know which cycle to put it on?? or do you just use the hottest cycle??

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 31-Dec-15 13:05:31

I'd probably just use the hottest longest cycle possible?

firesidechat Thu 31-Dec-15 13:19:13

Hottest.

cozietoesie Thu 31-Dec-15 13:26:56

You may find the Tips section on this website helpful. (I think that dishwashers are under 'Kitchen Tips'.) They cover most things and are not always recommending their own products.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now