Talk

Advanced search

Is your bedroom tidy?

(33 Posts)
Muddlewitch Sat 19-Dec-15 22:17:24

If so, how do you keep it that way?

The rest of the house I can cope with just about, kids rooms I always make an effort with, but my bedroom is a pigsty.

I do have a busy life but can't really blame that, as I have always been like this. Messy bedroom as a child and haven't ever grown out of it. I would really like a nice bedroom though, am a LP and work full time, have struggled with depression and don't think sleeping and waking up in mess helps at all. I would really like my own bit of space to retreat to. It ends up as a dumping ground for washing/stuff that I don't want cluttering up the rest of the house. Along with general mess. I always mean to sort it but work full time, 4 DC and the rest of the house to keep on top of and then I just leap over the mess and crash into bed with exhaustion.

What do you do to make it a nice space and keep on top of it?

Twowrongsdontmakearight Sat 19-Dec-15 22:21:40

Sorry! I'm the same as you. Mines a dumping ground for all the washing that's not been sorted and everything else. Weekly clean and tidy covers downstairs, hall stairs and landing and bathrooms. Plus kids rooms every few weeks. Never seem to get as far as my bedroom. So I keep the door shut!

CremeEggThief Sat 19-Dec-15 22:23:37

Yes, but I only have 1 DC and work very part-time, and I am obsessively tidy person anyway!

1.Keep clutter to a minimum. Only have what you need in your room.
2. Have a place for everything and everything in its place.
3. Keep everything that's hidden away as tidy as everything that's on display.
4. Put dirty clothes straight in the laundry basket, and always put clean clothes away in drawers and wardrobe straight away.
5. Air your bed (fold back duvet neatly) and open the window every day.

My solution is to have a series of pretty boxes, baskets, and containers. I place my mess into these, close the lid, and bingo! Tidy (ish).

Or at least then I can't see the mess..

twirlypoo Sat 19-Dec-15 22:30:28

I am exactly the same as you! My whole house I keep on top of, but my energy just sort of runs out when I reach my own bedroom. I figure im the only one who will see it and so it never gets sorted. It's serious teenage pit sort of level with piles of clothes and magazines on the floor blush

dodobookends Sat 19-Dec-15 22:31:07

Is our bedroom tidy? HAHAhahahahahahaha........ I wish - stuff EVERYWHERE at the moment

BahHumbugs Sat 19-Dec-15 22:36:48

I have in mine;

1 bed (clean spare bedding underneath in plastic tubs)
2 bedside cabinets (empty)
2 lamps
1 table
1 t.v
1 chest of drawers - my clothes

Thats it, I decluttered by getting rid of 75% of my house contents & its been easier to keep tidy.

Blueprintorange Sat 19-Dec-15 22:38:31

Sorry, my bedroom is always spotless! Why do you have wading in there? I wash and dry clothes, then keep them in the ironing basket (under the stairs) until I can be bothered to fold them, then I fold and put them straight away.

What else is cluttering you room? Do you have a wash basket for dirty clothes? Cosmetics etc could go in the bathroom, or drawers in your bedroom if you have room?

VegetablEsoup Sat 19-Dec-15 22:38:35

yes, I feel really unsettled and can't sleep if it's not tidy and well aired.

Blueprintorange Sat 19-Dec-15 22:39:06

Washing, not wading!

VegetablEsoup Sat 19-Dec-15 22:40:50

there is the bed, chest of drawers, bedside tables, wardrobe and some suitcases hidden by a screen so it looks neat.

biscuitkumquat Sat 19-Dec-15 22:41:34

The rest of my house leaves something to be desired, but the bedroom is the only tidy room because I couldn't sleep if it wasn't.

I have floating shelves on the wall beside the bed, which are used as "bedside cabinets", the TV is on the wall, with a shelf underneath, and that's all there is.

The wardrobes & the chest of drawers is in the spare room (well, it used to be, I haven't seen the chest of drawers for a while because of all of the junk in there!)

VoldysGoneMouldy Sat 19-Dec-15 22:42:15

DH's side of the room is. Mine is about the same as when I was 14.

Ughnotagain Sat 19-Dec-15 22:44:29

Nope, it's a complete hole. But then the whole house is. We are redecorating, but it's always been like this, so I can't use that as an excuse really...

GerrysSuccessor Sat 19-Dec-15 22:53:14

Mine used to be a bit like this. Its still not perfect, but so much better since I've done 3 things: 1. Got into the habit of making my bed every morning. Without fail. Now can't NOT do it, even if I'm running late. It makes the whole room look tidier and encourages me to pick things up because I can't face messing up my bed. 2. Paid a local carpenter to make some simple built in wardrobes that use space far more efficiently than anything free standing I could buy. We now have loads of hanging space for clothes and not as much drawer space, which I find easier when putting washing away. 3. I sat down and really thought about how I could improve my washing/drying/putting away system. We have a small built in cupboard in our hallway. I emptied it out completely and put a hanging rail in. Then added a small oil filled radiator and small dehumidifier. Now all washing gets dried in there. It's already on hangers, and is right next to the bedroom, so moving clean dry clothes from there to the bedroom straight into the wardrobes is really easy. We now never have washing hanging around the place, no ugly clothes horses, no piles of folded up clothes. Has changed my life!

Muddlewitch Sat 19-Dec-15 23:07:36

I'm really glad I'm not the only one!

Blue, it's mainly clean washing that is awaiting ironing/putting away but I am always washing so admittedly some of it just never makes it up to the top of the pile and put away and just lives there permanently blush
Also lots of piles of paperwork and stuff, piles of books, especially cookery books that I can't find anywhere else for. Old photos and school books and just, er, stuff. Lots of Christmas presents at the moment too.

Windows permanently open as I can't sleep with them shut so it aired, apart from all the crap.

I know I would sleep and feel better if it was nicer. I just never seem to make it a priority.

Muddlewitch Sat 19-Dec-15 23:08:29

I quite like the idea of making a laundry cupboard, the under stairs cupboard could work for that..

Hawest1 Sat 19-Dec-15 23:11:07

My room looks like a bombs went off! It's actually worse than my kids room! Lol.
At the minute it's far worse than normal as I'm in the middle of decorating so all the 'extra bits' from the room in painting have been shoved in it aswell as the usual mess!!
No matter how many times I 'gut it' within 2 days it's back to a pigsty! (Partially as my toddler is going threw the emptying drawers stage, but mainly just me being me lol)

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 19-Dec-15 23:14:01

I keep my clean washing basket in the towel cupboard. It's usually mount everest but it's hidden so my bedroom looks tidy.

Cook books are in the kitchen on the windowsill, paperwork is again hidden away in a box in a cupboard. In the same cupboard where the paperwork is I also keep my makeup, hair stuff, perfumes, jewellery ect. I'm quite a messy person but I keep it hidden grin

megletthesecond Sat 19-Dec-15 23:15:43

No. I'm a working lp so my room is the dumping ground. The dc's give me presents of things they've made and drawn which pile up. and I have an awful lot of clothes

SlinkyB Sat 19-Dec-15 23:15:56

Mine is usually messy too. Can you archive some bits into the loft? I put things which aren't needed frequently in tubs or old shoe boxes up in ours, which helps. Sorting my floordrobe once a week, and using old holey socks (clean!) to dust before binning them also helps I think.

megletthesecond Sat 19-Dec-15 23:17:53

twirly I have a pile of weekend papers on the floor too.

BuggersMuddle Sat 19-Dec-15 23:23:55

No, but nor is the rest of my house.

It's clean with fresh sheets weekly or more frequently if needed, but we tend to end up with lots of clean but worn clothes kicking about. (Don't want to hand up worn clothes in general, but equally might not wear immediately).

As to the rest of the house, I'm untidy and DP makes me feel really tidy. I have not yet found a resolution for this...

wowfudge Sun 20-Dec-15 00:14:28

I have a large basket that slides under the bed which I stick magazines, books, leaflets and paint charts, etc in. Everything else is behind the wardrobe doors or in drawers. I like the bedroom to be restful, so no TV or visible clutter.

Shockers Sun 20-Dec-15 00:20:20

No. The chaos makes me feel safe. It's my chaos.

It doesn't have the same effect on DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now