Talk

Advanced search

Question RE silk/viscose velvet.

(4 Posts)
SapphireSeptember Thu 17-Dec-15 16:39:49

Okay, so I have an M&S top I've had for years that is silk/viscose velvet that the label says can be washed at 40 degrees C as long as I use special detergent, so how come all the other silk/viscose velvet items I own say dry clean only?

wowfudge Thu 17-Dec-15 19:33:28

Because M&S spend more on research/developing fabrics which are easier to look after. And quite possibly the other manufacturers are covering their backsides saying you need to dry clean their stuff.

SapphireSeptember Thu 17-Dec-15 20:01:57

I think I like M&S! It's all stuff that's second hand, so I wonder if I do it on the handwash cycle with special detergent it'll be fine (did it with one 'dry clean only' velvet skirt a while ago and all that happened is I ended up with a crushed velvet skirt, and as I like that look I wasn't too fussed.)

wowfudge Fri 18-Dec-15 10:02:00

I would hand wash rather than using the machine using cold water and gently squeeze the water out then roll the item up in a doubled up old sheet to absorb more water (a towel might mess up the pile because of the texture) then hang it up to dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now