Talk

Advanced search

How do you CLEAN your radiators?

(13 Posts)
cakedup Wed 16-Dec-15 17:47:12

I know you can this sort of thing to collect the dust from behind the radiator, but how do you CLEAN behind radiators?

I guess one way would be to soap up one of those long radiator dusters but I'm not sure if that make the radiator duster moult.

PhoenixRises Wed 16-Dec-15 17:48:35

Radiator painter roller. Dampened.

Love my new house as radiators are direct to the wall so can't get in at all. Much better!

cakedup Wed 16-Dec-15 18:32:32

Sorry, I should have said, not just behind the radiator in between. My radiator looks like this:

And I'm very envy if your radiators!

cakedup Wed 16-Dec-15 18:33:02

*OF

I am fully of typos tonight!

cakedup Wed 16-Dec-15 18:33:25

*FULL angry

rabbit123 Wed 16-Dec-15 20:03:35

Oooooo I'll be watching this! Our radiators are a nightmare to clean! One thing I tried was using those spray air duster things to blow all the dust out and then vacuumed it up. It worked but it was really messy'

zzzzz Wed 16-Dec-15 20:08:24

Sock round a broom handle?

Theworldmakesnosense Wed 16-Dec-15 22:08:49

Hold a hairdryer at the top and a Hoover nozzle at the bottom grin catch the dust as it blows out the bottom

cakedup Wed 16-Dec-15 22:30:15

rabbit123 what is a 'spray air duster thing'?

A sock/broom handle and hairdyer/hoover would only do the job of one of these radiator dusters though.

Whereas I want to clean it. I managed to wipe a bit from the top, bottom and sides and it was filthy, really grimy (previous tenant was a chain smoker so have had the same problem with the windows).

zzzzz Thu 17-Dec-15 00:38:14

use several socks to get the right squish against the inside bits, and dip them in hot water with detergent in it.

dodobookends Thu 17-Dec-15 00:53:59

In over 30 years of cleaning many things I have never cleaned behind my radiators. Can't imagine ever wanting to.

Theworldmakesnosense Thu 17-Dec-15 11:42:39

I also use a steam cleaner occasionally with towels at the bottom to catch drips. A hairdryer will
dry up any leftover water smile

cakedup Thu 17-Dec-15 17:31:20

zzzzz brilliant idea re socks!

I don't make a habit of it dodobookends but I recently moved house and the previous tenants were a bit grim.

I don't own a steam cleaner OR a hairdryer Theworldmakesnosense. However, my dad just called to ask me what I want for Christmas - last minute as usual - and I couldn't think of anything but a hairdyer would be great so thanks for reminding me I don't have one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now