Talk

Advanced search

Living room smells of old clothes

(9 Posts)
stirling Tue 15-Dec-15 10:37:56

And a teenage boy's head. Any suggestions please? I ventilate the room every morning for an hour. Laminate flooring. 2 hessian style rugs but not that old. Blinds. Relatively new wallpaper and paint, maybe couple of years old.

Yes my husband does sit in the room for several hours each evening and we eat in the living room. But I vent it each morning and it still mildly pongs. Any ideas?

Many thanks

battlebacktonewlife Tue 15-Dec-15 11:25:24

Freshen up the fabrics with Fabreeze, or if you can steam clean the sofa's and wash curtains etc.?

stirling Tue 15-Dec-15 11:55:08

Thanks.. Forgot about fabreese!

wowfudge Tue 15-Dec-15 12:31:20

Try Neutradol odour neutraliser - it's a gel in a little pot. I don't like scents sprayed over smells and this stuff is not like that.

stirling Tue 15-Dec-15 12:36:14

Great! Thanks wowfudge, will look out for it.

Sonnet Tue 15-Dec-15 12:58:53

open windows every day - I know you do this but do it for a long time one day.

Sounds to me like you need a deep clean. If I were you I would do the following:

Wash any soft furnishings you can

Febreeze any others and leave to dry - ie if curtains don't pull them back until dry.

sprinkle bi carb on the rugs - brush into them if you can and leave overnight. Then hoover

Wash the floor, skirtingboards, windowsills etc.

Make sure you move everything off the floor to hoover and dust.

Do you have to eat in there? as food smells cling to soft furnishings and that will cause a stale smell. Opening the windows after eating would help but not practical I know.

BertieBotts Tue 15-Dec-15 13:00:41

Do you have sofas/chairs with covers which can be washed?

stirling Wed 16-Dec-15 22:40:09

Thanks for those brilliant suggestions sonnet. Yes I'm afraid it's the only place we can eat, our kitchen is teeny. So you're right, it produces a stale smell...love the bicarb idea!
Bertie I'm afraid the covers cannot be washed but I could get a company in. Probably should actually ...
Thanks again all.

mrsmeerkat Wed 16-Dec-15 22:44:48

I would go to a health shop and buy citronella oil and burn it after meals. It's absolutely gorgeous and clean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now