Talk

Advanced search

HELP! WTF! Maggotty evilness under wooden chests! Aaaagggghhhh! What are they?!

(28 Posts)
coveredinsnot Sun 13-Dec-15 17:02:19

Just moving some bits of furniture around in the living room only to discover two wooden chests with loads of maggot type creatures underneath and inside them... Soooooo disgusting! Feel all itchy now.

They are about the size of a grain of rice. I'll attempt to attach a picture. Seem to be attracted to the wood as don't seem to be elsewhere in the living room.

Living room floor is carpeted. Also the room itself is fairly damp. Landlord still considering whether to treat that but that's another story!

Please help me identify the little shits. Husband has removed the chests and hoovered the little fuckers up, we'll get rid of the hoover bag. What else?!

bigsnugglebunny Sun 13-Dec-15 17:04:23

They look a bit like woodworm

www.google.co.uk/search?q=woodworm&safe=off&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvptXEqNnJAhVG1hoKHYJhDHUQ_AUIBygB

sugar21 Sun 13-Dec-15 17:04:38

Woodworm.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 13-Dec-15 17:08:02

Probably woodworm. You can get your furniture and the floors treated but if the landlord doesn't sort out the damp they'll come back again.

nothruroad Sun 13-Dec-15 17:08:08

They look like carpet moth larvae to me. Or rather the damage left by the larvae. They often gather under furniture in the dark or around skirting. Make sure you wash out your hoover very thoroughly if you think it could be these. My carpet had lot of little rolled up damaged bits like this and they spread alarmingly quickly in warmer weather.

coveredinsnot Sun 13-Dec-15 17:08:14

Yes I think you're right. Yuck. Anything else we need to do then? Aside from removing the wooden furniture and being grateful for all of our cheap ikea crap?

coveredinsnot Sun 13-Dec-15 17:12:10

Well dh has discovered an area where the carpet looks like it's been eaten... And they were in areas where there wasn't any wooden furniture... So maybe moth larvae....

coveredinsnot Sun 13-Dec-15 17:13:19

And just to be clear those little things in the photo are actually alive. They were wriggling around!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 13-Dec-15 17:14:37

If carpet moths, then my point about the damp still applies. Is it the landlord's carpet or yours?!

GastonsPomPomWrath Sun 13-Dec-15 17:15:37

What else?

Don't think you'd be unreasonable to burn the fucking place down!

coveredinsnot Sun 13-Dec-15 17:20:54

Landlords carpet but fitted by previous tenants.

coveredinsnot Sun 13-Dec-15 17:22:47

The landlord is unfortunately an absolute arse who refuses to do anything. We've had visible damp in the living room for nearly 2 years. I think he may be considering treating it... We've got a 12 week old baby. Maybe we should just move.

coveredinsnot Sun 13-Dec-15 17:24:28

Ah I think it's DEFINITELY carpet moth, just Googled images and they look identical.

Whose responsible for treating this problem? Us or the landlord?

coveredinsnot Sun 13-Dec-15 17:26:22

Sorry who's

wowfudge Sun 13-Dec-15 18:14:38

Yes to moving - I know moving isn't free, but I cannot understand why you would hand your hard earned cash to an arse who thinks they can treat you so poorly.

Monkeyinshoes Sun 13-Dec-15 18:29:50

Definitely moth larvae. We had loads in our living room when we moved in and lots of eaten carpet too.

Woodworm, the larvae live in the wood and emerge as little beetles in spring. You wouldn't see larvae on the floor like that if it were them, you'd be seeing holes in wood and might spot little brown beetles flying around the room when it's warmer.

Moths like dark areas and natural materials, adult moths will lay eggs in those areas and the larvae eat their way through the carpet once they hatch. Pull out furniture and hoover regularly. This will get rid of the larvae before they can do any more damage.

nothruroad Sun 13-Dec-15 18:31:33

My landlord was useless when I had carpet moths. It jut got worse and worse and in the end I decided to move. You won't see the actual moth at this time of year but come spring and summer they will be everywhere. If your landlord won't pay for proper treatment you should definitely do it now over winter if moving is not an option.

LumelaMme Sun 13-Dec-15 18:40:06

Moth. You can get spray stuff which kills the little fuckers from a decent hardware shop, but it's not cheap.

Blast the bastards NOW, before they make their way into your nice woollen jumpers.

coveredinsnot Sun 13-Dec-15 18:43:05

Oh gosh are they the same buggers as the ones that like clothes?!

nothruroad Sun 13-Dec-15 22:52:36

Mine never damaged clothes but I always kept my bedroom door closed and didn't have carpet in it,not sure if that was why.

amysmummy12345 Sun 13-Dec-15 22:56:27

My friend had carpet moth and they were a bugger to get rid of! Hope you get it sorted OP confused

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 13-Dec-15 22:58:57

Yes to moving OP this could go on for ages not always easy to treat and if your landlord is an arse it could take forever. I'd start searching ASAP.

coveredinsnot Mon 14-Dec-15 10:46:21

Dh is dead against moving.... Aaaggghhh

hownottofuckup Mon 14-Dec-15 10:50:38

My friend had these, she had to recarpet the whole house to get rid!

I'd move, but I have a moth phobia.

TheChocolateDidIt Tue 15-Dec-15 14:08:19

Get the local pest person round. Leave the house for the day. job done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now