Talk

Advanced search

Best stuff for limescale in a toilet

(39 Posts)
MrsWembley Wed 09-Dec-15 09:28:27

Please! Bleach just ain't doing itsmile

penguinsarecool Wed 09-Dec-15 11:16:57

Domestos Zero in the black bottle. I would have said Harpic Powerplus but they seem to have changed the consistency of it recently and its now really thin whereas the Domestos one is much thicker and works better.

BeyondThirty Wed 09-Dec-15 11:18:45

I was gonna say harpic... but havent bought it for a while so cant comment on it changing its formulation

Stasie Wed 09-Dec-15 11:19:38

If you shift the limescale you won't need the bleach smile

I never use the stuff, it's so toxic and so bad for fish sad

Mind you I'm not sure if limescale remover is much less bad. But I only use it once every month or two.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 09-Dec-15 11:25:01

"1.5 litres of own-brand Cola overnight. Urban Myth or Truth?" Please discuss.

GrinAndTonic Wed 09-Dec-15 11:25:03

Put a large amount (about 20 tablets) of denture cleaner in the bowl and let it sit until the colour changes then scrub and flush. Works for stained cups and bathtubs too.

penguinsarecool Wed 09-Dec-15 11:27:43

Cola is good if you have limescale beneath the waterline but useless if the limescale is under the rim or above the waterline as it just skids off the sides and not enough time to work.

EdithWeston Wed 09-Dec-15 11:30:38

Bleach doesn't work against lime scale.

When I was in a very hard water are, this used to be an occasional problem. And the first time it got quite bad before i worked out what was needed (having a been a gentle Ecover user before that).

You need either Harpic or Domestos ones that say they deal with lime scale. These are the premium ranges, not the standard (cheaper) range. the lime scale will be gone before you finish the bottle, especially if you remember to use it before several hours on non-flushing (overnight or when leaving for the day).

BeyondThirty Wed 09-Dec-15 11:38:09

I've tried coke, it didnt work

Sgtmajormummy Wed 09-Dec-15 11:43:45

grin

Personally I use Bar Keepers Friend powder smooshed around with the brush and left overnight for limescale and Lidl thick bleach toilet duck as a twice-weekly fix.

BeyondThirty Wed 09-Dec-15 11:45:36

As well as using the harpic powerplus overnight, i also have the harpic max white rim block thingys. I've never had such a shiney toilet grin

Sanchar Wed 09-Dec-15 11:51:18

Denture tablets. or a few litres of white vinegar down the loo should do it.

MrsWembley Wed 09-Dec-15 19:47:26

Thank-you! I'm not a big fan of the Harpic/Domestos type products, which is probably why I have the problem grin But if that's what it takes, I'll do it!

And yes, as some posters have pointed out, it's above as well as below, otherwise I would have gone the cola route.

kelda Wed 09-Dec-15 19:49:57

White vinegar or try scrubbing with a pumice stone - softer then enamel but harder then limescale. That worked on my toilet.

Waltons Wed 09-Dec-15 19:54:44

I swear by Kilrock products - they also make Bar Keeper's Friend. www.kilrock.co.uk/index.asp

Not easy to buy online for some reason (hazardous stuff?), so you may need to find a local stockist.

penguinsarecool Wed 09-Dec-15 20:09:58

Harpic and Domestos are bleach though.

scaevola Wed 09-Dec-15 20:14:50

They contain bleach, but are not just bleach. Just bleach doesn't work on limescale.

www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/resources/chemistry-in-your-cupboard/harpic/6

penguinsarecool Wed 09-Dec-15 20:21:09

I don't bleach in those ingrediants though.

GladysTheGolem Wed 09-Dec-15 20:21:59

Yes to kilrock! It's on Amazon

EcclefechanTart Wed 09-Dec-15 20:24:07

Kilrock. They sell it in John lewis. And it comes in a gel as well as the liquid, so it sticks under the rim etc. It's very good.

poocatcherchampion Wed 09-Dec-15 20:25:09

I currently have vinigar in my loo so I will feed back...

let's ignore that it is brown vinegar

goingtotown Wed 09-Dec-15 21:50:47

Kilrock will do the job 100%. They sell it in Robert Dyas.

lavendersun Wed 09-Dec-15 21:54:51

Vinegar here too - if it is bad you will need to empty the bowl of water and fill with vinegar to above the water line. It will be gone in the morning.

I inherited a house with an original Edwardian loo. It looked like a mason and cash mixing bowl. Glazed terracotta on the outside and cream on the inside, only the inside wasn't cream until after a week of vinegar treatment.

I buy it in 5ltr containers for about £4.

lavendersun Wed 09-Dec-15 21:58:24

Just read your second post. I make a paste out of vinegar and bicarb for the bit above the water line although a pumice stone will work too.

poocatcherchampion Wed 09-Dec-15 21:58:25

Brown vinegar worked!!!

Needs a proper go but it is a lot whiter after 3 hours and a little scrub. Oh happy days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now