Talk

Advanced search

Cordless vacuum you can use while charging?

(16 Posts)
malin100 Tue 08-Dec-15 21:36:05

Can you not get a vacuum that can be cordless AND corded?

I've been looking into cordless cleaners as our main vacuum as old Dyson about to die and I hate it anyway. Battery life is an issue though as I need to clean a 2 up 2 down with hard floors downstairs and carpets upstairs, stairs with wood and carpet stair runner, dog hair, use it to pick up cobwebs and spiders all round the house, dust fireplaces, dust skirting, dust some blinds and shelves and mantelpieces with the brush bit etc. Then sometimes also the car(s). I'm not convinced I could do it in 20-30 minutes and I am very busy and work full time so generally can't split it over the week, just a Saturday morning.

Now I don't want a corded vacuum but I'm wondering why I haven't seen any cordless that you can plug in when you need to (like charging your phone but you can still use it). Do you really have to charge them for hours before you can use them again? We're nearly in 2016, does this not exist or have I missed it?

If not, then the ones I'm looking at just now with decent battery run time and suction include the Bosch Athlet which looks good as an upright but the tools seem like a pain in the back side to use and obviously I'd need them...or the gtech but I'd need to buy the multi as well which gets very expensive!

GinAndSonic Tue 08-Dec-15 21:38:41

My mum has one with two batteries, so you can swap then over when the first one dies. I don't know what model it is though.

fredandme123 Tue 08-Dec-15 21:46:07

Do you really use the Hoover solidly for over 20 mins ? I would say if you hoovered downstairs then put it back on charge, cleaned the bathroom and then hoovered upstairs you'll be fine. We have a dyson fluffy and its has a trigger so when you release you finger is stops so when you are moving rugs/furniture or distracted by your phone you are not wasting battery. Cleaner does the most hoovering in one go and she hasn't had a problem with battery yet.

malin100 Tue 08-Dec-15 22:21:47

I never time myself but I'm sure I do. Living room, porch, dining room, kitchen, bathroom then stairs and two bedrooms, including loads of dusting/cobwebs along the way.

My other concern is I may get a cleaner at some point soon so even if I learn to do things in a different order to charge in between, I couldn't expect them to.

Interesting that you have no issues with your cleaner though - how big is your house?

I think I've seen the one with two batteries but since it's not on my shortlist it might have been rejected on grounds of reviews of poor suction or something like that.

fredandme123 Thu 10-Dec-15 18:49:51

Sorry only just seen this- it's 3 bed 1 bath so pretty average sized! I think it feels like your hoovering for ages but in reality it's just stop starting that takes all the time!

e1y1 Sun 13-Dec-15 12:39:22

I have the vax air lift which had two batteries and its own battery dock, so just keep one on charger and swap over when one runs out.

I have NEVER not ben able to vacuum due to low battery as they are just switched over each time.

Now, even though the vax air is very, very good, personally i dont think a cordless can be a households only vacuum, as said it is excellent, but the suction of a cordless is not going to match a corded. If they did, all vacuums would now be cordless.

So i use the vax cordless 90% of the time as it is tons easier, and then i use a vax air corded (which is A rated for carpets/hardfloor, energy and omissions and was only £89.99 to boot) for when i want to do a thorough clean as have very deep pile carpets throughout.

e1y1 Sun 13-Dec-15 12:40:20

*has and been, sorry for they typos (on a mobile)

e1y1 Sun 13-Dec-15 12:47:33

THIS is my cordless lift.

THIS is my corded.

malin100 Mon 14-Dec-15 07:47:12

Thanks! I do fancy a vax air cordless lift as well and two batteries would solve my problem. Although suction isn't good enough for a thorough clean of deep pile carpets, I don't have any. We have hard floors with a couple of thin (presumably very cheap) carpets in the bedroom that were put in before we moved in and a thin stair runner carpet. We don't usually wear shoes on the carpets and the dog doesn't come upstairs so I reckon it's just dust, sock fluff and some 'walked up' dog hairs from socks/slippers that would be on carpets. And the dog hair situation is temporary as we're only fostering for a few months. Do you think it would be enough for us? I just have no storage in this house so definitely can't be storing two vacuums.

e1y1 Mon 14-Dec-15 10:33:59

Yes definitely would be enough.

We are also a no shoes house, and font get me wrong, the air lift makes the deep pile look lovely and clean and the stuff it collects in the bin rivals a standard vac.

Me just being me has to have a corded vac too.

But yes, the vax air lift is amazing and worth every penny.

THIS is the video they have you watch when you get the order confirmation email smile

e1y1 Mon 14-Dec-15 10:37:19

And if you're sad like me, smile

THIS guy reviews vacuums on YouTube.

So 24 mins of vax air lift smile but if you just scroll through to the bits where he is hoovering, think you'll be impressed.

OliviaBenson Mon 14-Dec-15 10:45:13

We have the Bosch one and it gets used for a big 3 bed house and doesn't run out of battery in that time. It just needs to be fully charged before I use it and it's good to go.

I love ours but don't use the accessories in any case.

malin100 Tue 15-Dec-15 22:05:43

Thanks! Leaning towards Vax Air Lift now.

Artandco Tue 15-Dec-15 22:09:30

The bosch one. My mother has and it's up to an hour usage

hollinhurst84 Wed 16-Dec-15 17:58:29

I think the cordless is different as you don't or I don't anyway have it running continuously
So I have the dyson one, and I take my finger off the power button when moving around etc so it's not running constantly

malin100 Wed 16-Dec-15 23:45:56

Artandco does she use the hose and find that easy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now