Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it just me? Or is your house more mouldy this year??!

(18 Posts)
Draylon Tue 08-Dec-15 12:58:33

Mine is a 15 year old 'estate' house; we've been here 5 years, but this winter, I'm really noticing way more mould/mildew than before. The shower needs bleaching at least twice a week- I don't mean your usual clean, I mean actual tooth-brush on the grout bleaching (normally we don't even need to run the fan in the shower rooms!); my double glazed window frames have a dusting of mould in each corner; my uPVC conservatory interior needs an entire bleach wipedown, glass and all.

There may be an obvious reason or two: erstwhile there was 4 people living here with 2 or 3 plants in the conservatory. This year there are 5 people, 3 cats and a Get Me Out Of Here jungle of houseplants in my conservatory (and the cats sleep out there); and of course, it's been really mild, so not a lot of heating (ours is on the thermostat all year round).

So, is it just me??!

SoundFury Tue 08-Dec-15 13:01:45

My house is really mouldy too!
We don't have the heating on, but it's really not that cold.
We are in the SW so it's wet and warm. Yum.

Draylon Tue 08-Dec-15 13:04:03

I'm near Southampton, damp and warm!

wowfudge Wed 09-Dec-15 07:08:24

Get a dehumidifier, they are great for this kind of thing or consider sticking a heater in your conservatory - an oil filled radiator on low can help. Be careful using bleach on upvc. If it's white it can turn it yellow.

SoundFury Wed 09-Dec-15 16:54:07

We have a dehumidifier and a couple of the crystal/gel ones dotted about. I hate to think how bad it would be without them!

Draylon Thu 10-Dec-15 19:04:47

Good point, wow re bleach. Actually I do have a dehumidifier. There is a oil column radiator in the conservatory, but it's only really used as a frost buster so only comes on when it gets down around 2 or so. I suspect the conservatory has got so bad this year because of all the plants transpiring and all the cats respiring in there!

FlopIsMyChristmasGuru Thu 10-Dec-15 19:26:58

Ours is definitely worse than normal this year

Rocksie Thu 10-Dec-15 22:33:37

I was thinking how much worse ours is this year. I wonder why?

Woodhill Thu 10-Dec-15 22:38:31

Yes more black mould

Indantherene Thu 10-Dec-15 22:44:27

All our back rooms are mouldy. I was only complaining about it yesterday. Our conservatory has a radiator in it so I don't understand it.

Alicewasinwonderland Mon 14-Dec-15 12:27:26

I had so many problems with mould that I am paranoid. We're doing pretty well this year, I haven't seen any (South East).

It is mild, but the heating is still on (low). Even in my bedroom, I switch it on for a couple of hours at midday to dry.

The windows everywhere are opened 1 hour a day. Ventilation does make a huge difference.

The laundry is still drying in the garden. I think I only had to leave it indoors once this year (I only do 1 load or 2 max a day to be fair, but do several on dry days obviously). Even if it is not bone dry by the time it comes in in the afternoon, there's no condensation on the windows and the house is drier.

I only use the dehumidifier if it is raining constantly for weeks. I realised that I don't save any money by switching off the heating but having the dehumidifier on/ buying anti-mould products and wasting hours cleaning.

I would keep the windows slightly ajar in the conservatory a few hours every day, it should help.

flanjabelle Mon 14-Dec-15 12:30:54

Yep. I have got to battle some in dds room this afternoon. Didn't get any last year. I am just worried about using the bleach spray in there as she is only little. there isn't anything else safer is there?

Alicewasinwonderland Mon 14-Dec-15 12:38:50

I still use bleach in the kids room, but first thing in the morning. You then leave the windows open for a few hours, there won't be any fume left by the time they go to bed in the evening. Mould is really unhealthy.

KP86 Mon 14-Dec-15 12:47:06

Could be that the bleach is hiding the mould (by bleaching it white) rather than killing it. Try clove oil, diluted in water, or white vinegar to actually kill the mould spores.

Just don't use clove oil if you are pregnant.

This is my first UK Autumn/winter, and I've noticed mould and grime accumulating around the doors and window sills. Bathrooms are always horrible because there's no natural ventilation. Just extractor fans which come on with the lights.

Also, with your bathrooms, consider wiping the glass and walls over after showering to get excess water out, and not hanging your towels in the bathroom to dry.

donajimena Mon 14-Dec-15 12:55:20

Bleach won't hide mould by turning it white
You should bleach it then wipe it off anyway!

mrswishywashy Mon 14-Dec-15 23:22:35

So upset to find a huge amount of mould behind sofa in living room. Noticed it as its grown up corner of wall but when I pulled sofa out it was all over floor and along skirting board.

Have been keeping on top of the mould that grows on the windows and a patch in one of the corners in the bedroom. The bathroom has a tiny bit on corners of windows. We've been running a dehumidifier to dry clothes that haven't got dry outside.

I've a seven week old baby and now very worried about her health. What should I use to kill the mould? Tonight I just used anti bac wipes but am going to store tomorrow to get whatever's needed.

We are in a rented ground floor flat what else can we do to help prevent it?

emwithme Mon 14-Dec-15 23:42:56

So much more than last year (SW England). We're doing nothing differently, no more people (there are two small cats but they can't make the change we've noticed).

It just seems moister this year.

donajimena Tue 15-Dec-15 06:59:43

wishy mix up some bleach and water in a bowl and carefully wash the walls.
When I was in a ground floor flat we had dreadful problems as we couldn't vent it sufficiently.
Check the external fabric (render, guttering) to see if there are any external reasond. Ifyou can't stretch to a dehumidifier will your landlord help?
If you see my above post I once extracted 10 litres of water in one day!
I paid £140 for mine but you might get deals in January.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now