Talk

Advanced search

My first tumble dryer

(10 Posts)
MrsBosh Sun 06-Dec-15 11:45:28

Last week I got my very first tumble dryer - a nice Bosch condenser number: www.johnlewis.com/bosch-wtb84200gb-sensor-condenser-tumble-dryer-8kg-load-b-energy-rating-white/p1759497

I have never owned one before, didn't grow up with one at home and so am getting a bit confused with all the different programme choices blush My DH grew up with an ancient one you just put a time in like 'hot 60mins' rather than snazzy programmes.

I can choose 'Easy care' or 'Cottons' then within those I have things like 'Cupboard dry' 'Cupboard dry plus' and 'Iron dry'.

My DH insists 'cupboard dry' means dry enough to put away, whereas I assumed it meant partially dry to be finished off in the airing cupboard. Who is right? We do not even have an airing cupboard hmm

I intend to mainly use it for big items I find it difficult to dry in the house such as bedclothes and towels. What is the best programme to use for these items? I did two bath towels on 'easy care cupboard dry' last night but they were still damp? Ideally I want big stuff to come out dry so I don't have to find space to hang it.

The booklet is pretty crap and doesn't give any examples of items I could use under each programme.

I do know to de-fluff and empty the water tray thing after each use though wink

Can anybody give a novice a few pointers, please?

rabbit123 Sun 06-Dec-15 12:06:47

DH is correct. "Cupboard dry" means dry enough to put away.

I'm not loving our sensor dryer. It's very hit and miss. Our old 2 heat timer dryer was much better.

SwedishEdith Sun 06-Dec-15 12:11:57

Mine's got about 10-12 settings and I use about 2. Cupboard dry doesn't get dry enough for me either so just use whatever is the one that's equivalent to Actually dry. CBA to separate cottons from synthetics so never use those settings.

Graciescotland Sun 06-Dec-15 12:19:47

Easy care is for polyester like sports stuff which dries faster, towels are made from cotton so need cotton cycle.

Pretty much everything goes on the cotton cycle here as I tend to do mixed loads, cupboard dry if it's going to be put away, iron dry for shirts ( remove and smooth as soon as dryer stops), extra dry for when you're doing a couple of emergency items in the morning. It's a good idea when you're doing bedsheets/ duvets to stop dryer halfway and shake them out in case they've twisted into a knot.

If anything does twist/ gets balled up in something else/ feels damp just bung it back in and the machine will stop when it's dry. We have the same dryer.

MrsBosh Sun 06-Dec-15 12:22:11

Thank you rabbit and SEdith smile

I can imagine that the old skool ones with just a few settings of heat and a timer would be much easier, yes!

Does 'easy care' mean synthetics then?

I will give 'cupboard dry plus' a go with bedclothes next. The programme timer says that's about 2 hours for cottons though shock which makes me grimace.

MrsBosh Sun 06-Dec-15 12:27:14

Ah, you answered my question about easy care whilst I was writing it Gracie, thank you! That's really useful.

Wrt your last point, if it feels damp when I take it out, what programme should I put it back on to finish it off?

We don't have much any sportswear at the mo, so it sounds as if 'cottons' will be my friend!

rabbit123 Sun 06-Dec-15 12:39:38

MrsBosh the times shown are the longest that it will take. The sensors are constantly working to adjust the time, so the dryer will only take as long as it needs to.

Just a heads up, the sensors on ours took a few cycles to work properly. Try doing a load of towels or bedding first, something that's all the same material.

Graciescotland Sun 06-Dec-15 12:39:57

Tbh I just whack it in at whatever it was on before it's because stuff in the middle hasn't rotated to the outside; the drier turns itself off after about 15 minutes or so. Normally when I turn it on it gives the time of about 2 hours or so and then if it's just damp it adjusts itself and the display will show a shorter time. Clever bosch.

MrsBosh Sun 06-Dec-15 12:42:17

Thank you for your help, all very useful tips and new info smile

Off to pop in my bedding now!

MrsBosh Sun 06-Dec-15 16:42:45

Update: took bedclothes out of the tumble a few hours ago. Dry! First time all week I've taken out dry stuff, so big thanks to all posters who replied with their helpful info grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now