Talk

Advanced search

Sooty wall?

(3 Posts)
pingoose Thu 03-Dec-15 20:22:45

We're about to move out of a rental property, and I've realised a guttering candle has left a soot mark up one of the walls. DH tried to remove it with spray and wipe, which has done nothing but slightly smeared it. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it? I'm not going to have to repaint the whole room am I?

wowfudge Fri 04-Dec-15 07:20:48

I would try a couple of different things - first sugar soap, which is used to prepare walls for decorating and cuts through grease and won't damage the paintwork or wallpaper. Soot is greasy. Wipe downwards and try not to spread the mark. You can buy sugar soap in a trigger spray from B&Q and other DIY stores.

The other thing and a second choice would be a magic sponge, but these are slightly abrasive so go easy. If it removes the mark you'll need to give the area a wipe over to remove the film of melamine that gets left behind.

If you can't get the mark out, paint over it with stain stop paint, let it dry then use a roller to patch the area of wall. If you know what paint has been used to paint the wall you may get away with just doing the marked area.

pingoose Sat 05-Dec-15 02:16:35

Thanks so much wowfudge, I will give those a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now