Talk

Advanced search

URGENT - What to do with frozen food - new fridge/freezer

(10 Posts)
AmberFool Sat 28-Nov-15 07:50:33

Have had my new fridge freezer delivered. Have to wait 4 hours before I can switch it on and takes another 2 hours before it comes up/down to temperature. What can I do with all my frozen food in the mean time?

sparechange Sat 28-Nov-15 07:53:49

Did you keep the drawers from the old freezer?
If so, cover each drawer with newspaper and a towel and leave in the coldest place in the house (possibly outside today?!)
If it isn't in the drawers, put it in the sink, but some bags of cheap ice from a shop, dump the ice in the sink with the food, cover with newspaper and towels.
It will be fine...

FishWithABicycle Sat 28-Nov-15 08:03:09

Hmm. A time machine is needed here. When we got a new one, we ran down the freezer stock to the bare minimum needed for life (e.g. potato waffles, nuggets, peas, icecream and ice cubes for g&t). Plus froze several artificial ice blocks.

We had fun finishing up lots of things that were unlabeled. I invented a recipe for chilli curry surprise! (Retrieve from the freezer 3 small pots of not-quite-a-portion of something that is almost certainly curry or chilli, defrost&heat all together)

The remaining frozen stuff was fine in a large cool box with the artificial ice for the hours out of the freezer.

With no preparation like this then lots of layers of newspaper interspersed with bin bags (to prevent water seeping through) I'd your best bet.

AmberFool Sat 28-Nov-15 08:08:02

Fish you're assuming that I am organised and my brain is engaged grin

Anyway, thank you both for the advice. I don't have newspapers but lots of towels and bin bags.

I guess I need to clean it as well! (smile)

Chasingsquirrels Sat 28-Nov-15 08:13:19

Need to clean what - the new one?

AmberFool Sat 28-Nov-15 08:16:45

Yes. Don't I?

stolemyusername Sat 28-Nov-15 08:20:27

I'd just put it in the new freezer and switch it on in 2 hours. If there's quite a bit of food then it'll stay cold and will start to pre cool the new freezer.

Disclaimer, obviously this could be unsafe but I've not poisoned any one (who didn't deserve it).

Chasingsquirrels Sat 28-Nov-15 09:34:30

Umm, well I wouldn't.
BUT I have just realised which topic this is in, and just maybe it isn't my natural habitat!

momb Sat 28-Nov-15 09:37:42

Leave it in the old freezer and don't open the door/lid. It will maintain temperature as long as you do not let any warm air in.

RoseDog Sat 28-Nov-15 09:41:37

We got a new fridge/freezer recently and the delivery men says the modern new fridge/freezers don't need to sit for the four hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now