Talk

Advanced search

Grubby bath

(12 Posts)
flannelwash Thu 19-Nov-15 13:42:28

Just moved into a house that hasn't been updated since the 50's which does have its upsides however the enamel(?) bath is grubby and I don't really want to tackle replacement just yet. Any ideas how to make it whiter?

PolterGoose Thu 19-Nov-15 15:16:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThePerfect1IThinkNot Thu 19-Nov-15 16:38:28

You can get it resurfaced.

HarlettOScara Thu 19-Nov-15 16:43:42

Poltergoose is a woman after my own heart. Barkeepers friend is brilliant for getting stains off all sorts of surfaces. Cif Mousse is my regular bath cleaner of choice. Mainly because you spray, leave and then rinse. No scrubbing required and I'm a lazy cow wink

Whatevva Thu 19-Nov-15 16:47:40

Ajax/Cif worked on a skanky 1970s turquoise bath, where Flash/Jeyes fluid/vinegar and salt etc failed.

PolterGoose Thu 19-Nov-15 16:50:22

wowfudge Thu 19-Nov-15 16:50:29

I don't recommend it at all, but in a flat abroad one flatmate poured alcohol from the chemists around the enamelled bath and set light to it to clean it!

This was 1) alarming to say the least; and 2) insulting as we were extremely good flatmates who were clean and tidy with a weekly rota we all kept to. Never got that in this country.

Flomplet Thu 19-Nov-15 17:08:17

I am of the view that a bath is never properly clean unless it's been scrubbed with cream cleanser. Obviously check the label and go carefully on worn enamel.

flannelwash Thu 19-Nov-15 17:08:51

Thanks guys I'll give cif and barkeepers friend a bash!
And if all else fails set fire to the bloody thing
It is incredibly soft polter !

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 19-Nov-15 17:10:56

I was told the best thing for any bath is washing up liquid. Anything else is too harsh.

PolterGoose Thu 19-Nov-15 17:15:05

Millipedewithherfeetup Thu 19-Nov-15 17:18:14

I soaked some blinds in luke warm water with bio powder a few weeks ago and was absolutely amazed at how sparking my bath was after, just rinsed with cold water, (the blinds were pretty clean too !) No rubbing required !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now