Recommendations for food mixer/processor

(12 Posts)
Fresh01 Tue 17-Nov-15 22:39:00

For Christmas my mum wants something to replace her hand held mixer and stick blender. Any recommendations?

I think she wants more of a food processor than a food mixer. She doesn't bake cakes but would like to be able to use it to make pastry. She does make soup a lot.

I have been looking online but there is such a variety of types and price range.

BananaPie Tue 17-Nov-15 23:03:27

My moulinex food processor works well for making pastry and chopping veg etc. I don't think it was too pricey. I've had it about 10 years. It's a faff for making soups though as you have to take everything out of the saucepan, blend it in the food processor then put it back in the saucepan. A handheld stick blender is much better.

Patapouf Sun 29-Nov-15 02:16:48

I have the kitchen aid food processor and it is very good for chopping stuff, but for pastry I use the mixer and soup I use the blender because you can get more done at once than in the processor. Sorry, not much help! I haven't had the stick blender out of the cupboard since I bought those three though! blush grin

CuttedUpPear Sun 29-Nov-15 02:22:40

I've been given the money for a food processor for my birthday so watching the thread with interest.

I want to make cakes, meringues etc but also pastry if possible and savoury stuff?

I agree with the previous poster that you can't beat a stick blender for making soup.

Patapouf Sun 29-Nov-15 11:06:07

For meringues, cakes and pastry you'll want a decent mixer cutteduppear which will depend a lot on your budget. I have the kitchenaid artisan but lots of MNers swear by the Kenwood Chef!

rabbit123 Sun 29-Nov-15 11:43:16

Kenwood Chef or Magimix!

Dulceetdecorum Sun 29-Nov-15 11:48:58

I've got a Magimix and I would not recommend it. The whole 3 bowl thing is a complete faff, and if you use one of the smaller bowls, bits of food goes everywhere so you have to wash all three. Apart from that, it does what it is supposed to.

magimedi Sun 29-Nov-15 12:19:37

I have a Magimix & I hate it!! It's the three bowl one, that replaced the original Magimix that I'd had for over 20 years.

Not meant to put it in the dishwasher (WTF!) - small bowl does as Dulce says & big bowl does not chop stuff evenly.

OurBlanche Sun 29-Nov-15 12:26:44

What's your price range?

I'd hate to recommend a Chef and have your fall in live with the idea until you see the price tag smile

The Braun Multiquick might be a good bet, light, flexible and very easy to use. There is a variety of pack sizes and prices, so you could choose which would best suit your mum's needs.

NannyR Sun 29-Nov-15 12:33:25

Kenwood chef is a food mixer that comes with blender and food processor attachments. I've also bought the ice cream maker attachment and the mini grinder jars for coffee and spices. I use it 3 or 4 times a week - the most useful kitchen appliance I've ever bought.

Fresh01 Tue 01-Dec-15 23:28:45

Sorry this one got put to one side as I was trying to focus on getting the kids sorted. Was probably looking around £100 but could go a bit more if it was a much better system.

I'm off to google some of your suggestions.

CuttedUpPear Fri 04-Dec-15 20:18:54

There seem to be so many versions of the Chef on Amazon - which should I be looking at?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now