Talk

Advanced search

Mat to protect carpet in front of wood burner?

(15 Posts)
teacher1984 Tue 17-Nov-15 20:51:07

I'm not sure if our hearth is a little shorter than it should be but specks of coal etc have managed to damage the carpet in front of our multi fuel burner.

Does anyone know what I could buy to lay over the carpet whilst DH kneels & tends to the fire? I'm thinking some kind of hard wearing protective mat that can be rolled up when not in use?

Hope someone can advise as we're getting a new carpet soon and would love to keep it perfect! smile

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 17-Nov-15 20:53:54

Why don't you go traditional and get a hearthrug that stays rather than gets rolled up? Something dark coloured and speckly and ideally wool, possibly a ragrug from old jumpers.

CuttedUpPear Tue 17-Nov-15 20:58:07

I use a large thick cotton weave rug (it probably came from Ikea). All sorts of black marks, ash, wood splinters etc end up on it. It's easy to fold up and shake outside and it just about fits in the washing machine.

It goes over the top of my naice rug for about 5 months of the year.

teacher1984 Tue 17-Nov-15 21:11:32

Thanks for the replies - glad to know it's normal to get debris from the fire. This is a new house we've just moved into and we've never had a fire before. I'll have a look in ikea for something that will fit in the washer smile

somewheresomehow Wed 18-Nov-15 16:45:47

we use a carpet offcut/sample in a dark colour
just get something cheapish as it will probably get a few little burn holes as well

caroldecker Wed 18-Nov-15 17:12:09

when we fitted a new carpet, we had offcuts bound round the edges to make a mat to sit in front of the fire. We had a few made to replace if necessary.

Flomplet Thu 19-Nov-15 14:05:47

We just get a cheap, darkish rug and replace every couple of years.

teacher1984 Thu 19-Nov-15 22:00:35

Caroldecker - where did you get the offcuts bound? And at what sort of cost?

caroldecker Thu 19-Nov-15 23:54:34

It was about 10 years ago and the carpet store (john lewis) did it - It is called whipping and was about £5-£10 a metre from memory.

caroldecker Fri 20-Nov-15 00:03:10

For an example, these guys cost £1/foot if you deliver and collect from them, so you should not have to pay too much more elsewhere.

PurpleAlerts Fri 20-Nov-15 00:42:03

It's worth investing in a pure wool rug as it's a naturally fire retardant material. I recently bought a lovely pure wool rug from these guys

HarrysMummy17 Fri 20-Nov-15 01:03:38

I just got a cheap rug from the studio catalogue. £11.99 I think so I'm not fussed about throwing it away when it looks too bad and getting another !

NoMilkNoSugar Sat 21-Nov-15 15:00:34

We used to buy the squares of sample carpets which were normally sold off for a pound or so in the carpet shop.

lljkk Sat 21-Nov-15 15:04:25

Very complicated? I have small rug from a variety shop (like Wilkinsons, I guess). Cost £12-£15? Argos sells similar kind of thing.

Kr1stina Sat 21-Nov-15 15:06:40

You need to check that your hearth complies with the regulations for superimposed and decorative hearths. They are there to protect the structure of your house so are very important .

If your stove was fitted by a registered stove fitter, then you should be ok , but I'm guessing you don't know if you've just bought the house. The rules are here

www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/hearth-regulations/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now