Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find the laundry basket of my dreams!

(22 Posts)
chumbler Mon 16-Nov-15 22:11:23

So I asked a while back if I'd be mad to divide my washing into 4 baskets - normal dark, normal light, delicate dark, delicate white. And general consensus was to go for it! Ever since I've been searching for 4 identical baskets to put side by side in our bedroom. But I just can't find what im looking for!!

I like this http://www.lakeland.co.uk/24674/Slim-Woven-Laundry-Basket but that would be £80 altogether!!

So I was going to get this http://m.direct.asda.com/George-Home-Hanging-Laundry-Hamper/001482972,default,pd.html?cgid=D26M08G08C11S01 but it's out of stock sad

Can anyone help?? Please? I have seriously been looking for a couple months now and going a bit mad!!!

rabbit123 Mon 16-Nov-15 22:19:02

Is this any good?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00A9N0UI0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1447712289&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=laundry+sorter&dpPl=1&dpID=51vUPXMEhAL&ref=plSrch

FlagDay Mon 16-Nov-15 22:20:55

We have 2 of these next to each other
m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/80219660/

dementedpixie Mon 16-Nov-15 22:22:11

2 of these?

chumbler Mon 16-Nov-15 22:24:58

Thank you. I just feel that the metal frames won't go in our room - all dark oak... Sorry being very picky but like I said, I've been looking for months!

trixymalixy Mon 16-Nov-15 22:28:57

i have one very like the Amazon one linked but in white. It was from Amazon too, but currently unavailable. There are some on eBay, but a bit dear.

smallchair Mon 16-Nov-15 22:34:20

I use ikea "skoghall" for my washing - they are sold as bedside tables but are basket shaped and lidded - perfect capacity for a load of washing (ie when full, it's time to do a wash) you can modify by adding a hinge and a bit of ribbon to attach the lid so it flips up. We have a row of them in the bathroom that we use as seats with washing hidden inside, they're great!

ImperialBlether Mon 16-Nov-15 22:40:16

Me too, smallchair. And they're easy to paint, too (not that I have - too lazy!)

chumbler Mon 16-Nov-15 22:41:51

Ooh that's nice! I will investigate further smile am loath to order from ikea as literally had a parcel from them today and delivery to us is so expensive, wish I'd seen that sooner

Sixpencenonethericher Thu 19-Nov-15 19:05:03

I've got this in our room
1 in the bathroom for towels
Dd had 1 in her room

rabbit123 Thu 19-Nov-15 19:18:10

if you're wanting dark, how about these?
www.clasohlson.com/uk/Allibert-Lidded-Laundry-Basket/44-1070

chumbler Sat 21-Nov-15 21:11:57

Ooh I quite like the next one but need 4 sections?

Sorry all for being incredibly fussy but wous welcome any other suggestions as this is driving me a bit mad now!

StayWithMe Sat 21-Nov-15 21:23:19

You could spray paint the metal on the one that rabbit suggested. Personally, I really like it. It's a nice tidy one.

chumbler Sat 21-Nov-15 21:28:27

I think I just prefer more natural ones - canvas, wicker etc. (We live in a very old house - wooden beams etc.) But need 4 identical ones.

bonzo77 Sat 21-Nov-15 21:31:00

Ikea skoghall here too. They've lasted really well (ours are about 6 years old). Ventilated so if you put stinky stuff in (sports kit, bed linen that DCs have wet) it doesn't honk.

annandale Sat 21-Nov-15 21:38:10

How about these bags? You could get a really nice board of four hooks on the wall and put them on those.

Or you could get some more squarish canvas or hessian shopping bags (some design you really like) and I just saw canvas sold to stiffen the bottom of a bag on a site called Bobbin Girl for about £3.

PaperPlaneDown Sat 21-Nov-15 21:47:30

How about these colourful canvas Brabantia laundry bins, various designs?

www.brabantia.com/uk/laundry-drying-ironing/laundry-bin/

PaperPlaneDown Sat 21-Nov-15 22:04:18

Dunelm have some nice ones, in wicker, or bamboo

mysteryfairy Sun 22-Nov-15 10:42:29

If you've been looking for months I would recommend spending £80 on the Lakeland ones you like.

It wouldn't lead to the washing being accurately sorted in my house though. I'd still have to check. Plus I have more than 4 categories of washing!

chumbler Sun 22-Nov-15 13:55:19

Yeah that's the conclusion I'm coming to mystery though I will consider the brabantia too, they're lovely grin for a washing basket... blush

What other categories?? I actually do 5 as I do a wool wash as well but 5 baskets seemed extreme... Though I may just go all out now!

mysteryfairy Sun 22-Nov-15 15:58:17

So the ones you mentioned...

Light towels and bedding
Dark towels and bedding
They go on hotter than everything else

My standard darks get separated in two...my machine takes ages and I can only process washing at weekends. I do loads that can't be tumble dryed asap starting Friday night and towards the end of the laundry marathon I generally have a load of pants, socks and pjs that I tumble dry.

Jeans go on a shorter cooler wash inside out and I have light jeans (though I don't wear them in winter) and dark jeans. There are 4 adult sized people so I generally have one to two jeans washes per week.

I separate cashmere from hardier wool too so even my delicates break down further!

ElviraCondomine Mon 30-Nov-15 20:02:18

I gave up on finding the perfect system so have kept my nice big plain white laundry lidded bin, and have bags inside for the laundry! A white cotton one for whites, black cotton one for darks, and a big mesh one for coloureds. Bedding and towels get taken straight down from beds/ baths at the weekend so never make it into the laundry bin.

The great thing is that the whole bag can be carried downstairs and emptied straight into the machine. Honestly, it sounds ridiculous but it's the best thing ever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now