Talk

Advanced search

Do you iron?

(35 Posts)
RabbitSaysWoof Mon 16-Nov-15 20:44:21

People who say they don't iron don't actually look scruffy. Why do I? What am i doing differently?

BackforGood Mon 16-Nov-15 20:53:24

Tumble dry.
Hang.
Buy the right material in the first place.

I can't understand why this should be, but I have a theory that if you never iron a garment, it looks better than a garment that has always been ironed, that then doesn't get ironed. I have no proof for that whatsoever, just my ponderings....

e1y1 Mon 16-Nov-15 20:54:00

Yes, I iron. My view is, is that if it's good enough to wash, it's good enough to iron.

It basic pride in making ones self as presentable as possible.

No particular view against people who don't iron, it's their decision, however, to me there is no substitute for ironed clothes no matter how increased they come out of the laundry.

e1y1 Mon 16-Nov-15 20:55:34

*uncreased

Bunbaker Mon 16-Nov-15 20:55:49

They buy clothes that don't require ironing. I prefer to wear natural fibres that do require ironing, so I iron my own clothes and DD's school shirts which really do look scruffy if I don't iron them.

ginmakesitallok Mon 16-Nov-15 20:59:09

Yes I iron. I'm not some weirdo who does pants or tea towels, but I iron stuff that needs ironed. In fact i quite enjoy ironing i get to watch crap tv and get a happy feeling when theres a nice tidy pile of ironed clothes. There, I've admitted it. I feel better now.

Kim82 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:01:45

I only iron school uniforms and any clothes needed for a day/night out where we need to look smart. Day to day I don't iron my clothes and nobody has ever noticed or commented. I fold clothes as soon as they come out of the dryer so they don't have many creases in them.

CremeEggThief Mon 16-Nov-15 21:02:07

I don't iron. I don't even own one anymore.

P1nkP0ppy Mon 16-Nov-15 21:02:11

I'm an ironing freak too, nothing more satisfying that a pile of clean, crease-free clothes. If you wear natural fibres you're going to have to iron.

OddlyLogical Mon 16-Nov-15 21:02:30

Very little ironing here - I have a few items that need it but most things I own don't.
Tumble dry and hang does just fine.
Some stuff that I spend ages ironing, looks crumpled within 10 minutes of sitting down in it so then I wonder why I bothered grin

Katarzyna79 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:04:46

e1y1 I agree I have that same pride but in last few months ive had to ditch that pride, 3-4 loads everyday too much ironing for a person to do and keep on top of other chores. I'm a carer to 2 adults and 4 kids, I cant spend all morning ironing so no choice really.

I do iron items that need doing badly some cottons, linen creases really bad, if anything is left in basket and not hung right away it will be creased.

btw ginmakesitallok* I'm the weirdo who does tea towels without fail, I think it makes them look clean and pristine like from the shops, I am OCD though so maybe that explains it? My husband doesn't understand it. I stop at doing bedsheets though no way sleep on it ironed in morning lol

Katarzyna79 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:07:10

I think tumble drying makes items more creased though. When I used to use the radiators to dry my clothes weren't as much as tumble dried stuff is.

When weather is good, actually mild enough now long as theres no rain I prefer to line dry off line straight onto hangers no need to iron at all.

dementedpixie Mon 16-Nov-15 21:10:50

I only iron shirts and schoolwear. I don't use a tumble drier either and hang clothes on a clothes horse/aired thing instead

Trooperslane Mon 16-Nov-15 21:14:52

Nope. I do have one. No idea where it is though.

Bunbaker Mon 16-Nov-15 21:20:49

My clothes are creased if I tumble dry or line dry.

Llouh Mon 16-Nov-15 21:22:58

Nope, I can't be arsed and I don't really own anything I need to iron. Actually I don't own an iron but I do have an ironing board. confused

Alexjoy Mon 16-Nov-15 21:25:24

Not if I can help it.

Really good 'refresh' button on the dryer that gets a lot of use.

Rivercam Mon 16-Nov-15 21:31:49

This evening I took the washing out of the tumble drier and ironed them straight away, and there were hardly any creases in the clothes. However, if the washing gets left in the tumble drier, then creases form as the clothese cool down.

I'm an ironer, and also iron tea towels.

Frazzled2207 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:34:06

I have not ironed anything since my first dc was born (summer 2013). I'm not sure I even know where the iron is these days.
Dh has occasionally ironed a work shirt or two for me.
Poor kids' clothes have never been ironed.

e1y1 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:42:51

Katarzyna79, that's understandable there are going to be personal circumstances and things that absolutely take priority over ironing, of course being a carer is one.

It's actually good practice to iron tea towels and underwear though as the heat of the iron will zap and remaining bacteria.

I'll admit don't really iron tea towels though as have dishwasher, so they're used for oven mitts etc, not dishes. Used to iron underwear, but haven't done as a rule for a while.

NewLife4Me Mon 16-Nov-15 21:46:54

I only iron what's necessary.
my dd said her school don't iron the laundry and their school shirts are as good as when they have been.
I wish I could leave cotton stuff, but it always needs it.

SilverOldie2 Mon 16-Nov-15 22:11:43

I haven't used my iron since the day I retired ten years ago - it's heaven. Most of my clothes are natural fibres and if they are a bit creased after washing and drying, the creases seem to fall out after wearing for a short while

TheNumberfaker Mon 16-Nov-15 22:14:04

Same as pp. Just school uniform and work shirts for DH.

MediumBox Mon 16-Nov-15 22:16:25

I only iron hama beads.

choice of fabrics is the key. jersey rather than woven.
and strategic drying: give clothes a flick before hanging up as smooth as possible to dry.

Jw35 Mon 16-Nov-15 22:39:30

The trick with the tumble dryer is to fold clothes while they're still hot.

I do iron but only about a basket a week (family of 4) just school shirts and blouses, the baby's skirts and some tops

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now