Talk

Advanced search

Where do you keep your spare coat hangers?

(22 Posts)
CarpeJugulum Tue 10-Nov-15 10:28:19

Bit of an odd question I know, but I have a stash of coat hangers I use when I'm drying clothes indoors - so while tshirts usually live in drawers, I hang them on coat hangers to dry.

This means I have an overflow of coat hangers and I have no idea where to keep them. They're in a crate at the moment but it's not a great solution.

Any brilliant ideas?!

Fairylea Tue 10-Nov-15 10:29:59

We stuck a hanging rail across the top of the cupboard the washing basket is in and hang them there ready to use.

wowfudge Tue 10-Nov-15 13:52:01

Ours hang off a shelf bracket which is supporting a shelf and happens to have a space I can jam the hooks of the hangers into.

CarpeJugulum Wed 11-Nov-15 13:41:14

Hmm, was hoping for a more on the ground option as I don't really have room for a hanging space iyswim.

MGgirl Wed 11-Nov-15 17:19:29

Ours are in a Pets @ Home bag for life , hanging from a hook near the washer/tumble drier

Donge13 Wed 11-Nov-15 17:31:13

In a box in the bottom of the wardrobe

Danglyweed Wed 11-Nov-15 18:04:00

In the dh wardrobe grin

MummySparkle Wed 11-Nov-15 18:06:08

Spare coat hangers? What are these mythical objects you talk of? wink

Mine disappear at will! I keep buying more, but within a fortnight there aren't enough to hang all of our clothes!

Pointlessfan Wed 11-Nov-15 18:07:52

I am very strict about coat hangers. Once emptied of clothing they should be moved to the far right of the wardrobe hanging rail. DH thinks I'm mad and often rebels!

Tostartagain Wed 11-Nov-15 18:35:59

I put mine in a draw in the bedroom.

CarpeJugulum Wed 11-Nov-15 21:30:23

No spare drawers sadly. There must be an elegant storage solution for hangers which means I can keep them close to the washing machine, but not all over the floor or in a jumble in a crate.

They're driving me mad I tell you, MAD!!! wink

NickNackNooToYou Wed 11-Nov-15 21:32:06

I thought hangers had to have clothes on by law confused

RoganJosh Wed 11-Nov-15 21:33:30

Where do you dry the clothes? Could they live there?

GarlicBreadItsTheFuture Wed 11-Nov-15 21:39:44

On one of these hanger stacker

Sgtmajormummy Thu 12-Nov-15 13:10:24

The few that are actually spare go in a (50x30x30 if that's of any interest, just one I was given) lined basket at the bottom of my wardrobe. Hook bit facing down so I can see if they've got a trouser bar, and all facing the same direction.
Ones for drying clothes go on the IKEA GRUNDTAL shelf/basket/hanging rail/airer system above the spin dryer, ready for use.

I recommend that system for small spaces as it doesn't have any front support, so the washing machine etc. has its own floor space. The metal mesh baskets are starting to rust after 3 years now, but that's a good excuse to go to IKEA and get some more!

Sgtmajormummy Thu 12-Nov-15 13:16:21

Sorry, it's not GRUNDTAL it's ALGOT. Does anybody else get name blindness in IKEA?

CarpeJugulum Fri 13-Nov-15 17:30:36

We dry clothes in the conservatory/outdoors during the day, then into the house at night when the temperature drops. This may change as we adjust to this (new!) house.

Right now, hangers are in a mess. I may have to use space in the wardrobe and work out how many hangers are actually needed iyswim.

Why is life so complicated?! <first world problem!>

BackforGood Fri 13-Nov-15 17:37:31

You lost me at the concepts of spare hangers, I'm afraid.

CarpeJugulum Fri 13-Nov-15 21:30:45

It is a bit of an anomaly, but I seem to develop them and they multiply... shock

Fink Fri 13-Nov-15 21:35:12

Underneath the wardrobe, which I'm pretty sure IKEA made with a 3-inch space between it and the floor specifically for hangar storage. wink

cjm10979 Mon 16-Nov-15 10:33:31

I put mine in a large carrier bag (think one of the large ones from M&S), put one of the hangers through the loop of the handles and hang it in the wardrobe.

FloweryPowery Mon 16-Nov-15 11:58:22

Grundtal would do the job though, to be fair Sgtmajor. We have a hanging rail in our under stairs cupboard. Or what about one of those big hooks that hangs off a door, on the back of a cupboard door?

But if it has to be floor level, I think Garlicbread's gizmo or a big supermarket reusable bag are good suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now