Talk

Advanced search

My awful experience with Mark Wilkinson Kitchens

(14 Posts)
Fuzzy123 Thu 05-Nov-15 16:41:53

I paid a horrendous amount of money for what should be stunning kitchen, or at least this is what I was promised.

The date the kitchen was supposed to be fitted came and went, I rang in. They forgot to schedule me in for a fitting.

When the kitchen finally turned up it was a mess of different colours of what looked like oak, conti board and laminates. Apparently this passes for a solid oak kitchen.

Before it was even fitted, I asked for it to go back, oh it was also missing a lot of the metal strips it was supposed to have on it.

After really unpleasant conversations with Canburg the people that also own small bones, The door fronts were all changed. Unfortunately they came in the wrong sizes. So instead of sending all back, the carpenters fitted them . Oh I forgot the two cabinets that came in too small that the breakfast bar is sitting on, instead of sending these back for the right height units, they stuck two boards in underneath that look awful. They then stuck a breakfast bar on top. Result, the breakfast bar bowed in the middle and the edges are so sharp I have lost a dress and two jumpers to it.

We have AT LEAST eight sets of carpenters in over approx 8 months, who have one after the other shaved, sanded, cut down the doors and draws to no avail. We now have a kitchen with horrid uneven gaps between each and every unit. If that's not bad enough, they have also warped. We can't switch on the insink erator, we can't use the corner cupboards because the internal unit bangs on the external unit.

Finally the managers at Mark Wilkinson decided the only thing they could do nine months down the road, was to replace the whole kitchen. Great!!!

Had it confirmed in writing. I had a date, they promised to build the whole thing off site and bring it to site when they were convinced it was all going to work.

I was given a date for the fitting. All good so far, then I suddenly get a phone call out of the blue from an angry owner of Canburg. stating and I kid you not, that there was absolutely no way on earth I was getting my kitchen and that his senior managers had no place offering to replace my kitchen. He even said that "even if they did replace the kitchen it may still not be right." (oh and I did tape the entire conversation, just to be on the safe side).

Not a great for a company that makes and sells kitchens, they say are high end.

What I want to know is why is the owner of Canburg so convinced they can't build a kitchen that will work. Is the work generally of a poor standard?

A warning then, you can not trust anything that anyone in MW tells you, because they may not have the authority to give you what you think you are paying for. They have walked away from the situation and my solicitors are now dealing with all.

If you want to avoid a similar fate avoid Canburg (MW and Small bones).

I will let you know what happens next. Am now in talks with a marketing company too, to advertise the kitchen I have out side their shops.

thenewbroom Fri 06-Nov-15 13:55:54

how appalling.with those prices you really expect a top end service and sounds like you'd have been treated better by Magnet! I wish you all the best getting it resolved.

Fuzzy123 Fri 06-Nov-15 16:47:49

Our neighbour has a lovely magnet kitchen (their trade store is up the road from us in Brentford) cost 1/5 of what I paid.
LOL.

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Sun 08-Nov-15 00:20:48

I'm surprised. My best friend went for MW and says it was a great experience from start to finish. Her kitchen is wonderful.

Canburg sound awful, so I hope your solicitors get something out of them for you.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 08-Nov-15 00:25:47

Weren't they featured on a BBC consumer programme a few years ago? I seem to remember !its of customers with similar stories.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 08-Nov-15 09:05:31

Fuzzy I get palpitations when I hear the words Magnet Kitchens.
They were dreadful to deal with when I had a problem with the kitchen six months after fitting it. It took months and months and months before the faults were rectified
OP I feel sorry for you. You apprar to have neen treeated very badly by MW's owners.
Contact BBC's Watchdog- they were instrumental in highlighting the danger inherent in some Vauxhall Zafiras and ensuring Vauxhall did something about it.
I do hope you get satisfaction.

winkywinkola Sun 08-Nov-15 10:20:38

What legal action can you take?

notapizzaeater Sun 08-Nov-15 10:23:58

Do you have a consumer section in the local,paper ?

openeyes11 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:32:11

This response is based on the review regarding failure of MWK to deliver the kitchen requested.
I'm appalled about your bad experiences with Wilkinson's Kitchen. Thank you very much for sharing this info. I was very eager to place an order but not anymore. I really have no time for these pathetic excuses when companies fail to deliver. They have no compassion for the stress they cause which always lead to ill health. Not to mention the outrageous prices we pay for very bad services. Shame on you Mark Wilkinson with your superficial impression and poor quality services. I'm surprised to see the name of a famous chef I so admire associating his name with this company. Unfortunately MWK is not the only company to fail customers like this. What is worse is the law being a mine field and not always easy to get justice. Money and contacts is a big barrier in the pursuit of justice.Thanks again for the information. Well Done.

wowfudge Sat 02-Jul-16 07:31:34

Famous chef? I though he was a furniture designer.

Mum2KSS Fri 15-Jul-16 10:38:26

Mark Wilkinson was a cabinet maker but recently Michel Roux Jnr has endorsed MKW as his personal choice.

jjcw Fri 12-May-17 22:14:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HappydaysArehere Tue 16-May-17 10:31:12

My son-in-law has fitted hundreds of kitchens and he discovered Kitchens Direct. He says the quality is fantastic and the service excellent. Mentioned this to the local butcher recently and he said someone in the posh, high end kitchen shop opposite had said the same. My daughter's kitchen is lovely. The bonus is that her husband is a great fitter. One warning, eleven years ago we ordered a magnet kitchen which thank heavens my son-in-law fitted. He discovered when looking at the order that they had massively over ordered side door panels and coving around cupboards. Obviously if we had had their fitters which they were pushing we would not have been aware as they would have been held back. We saved over five hundred pounds. Also. Their computerised planning was incorrect even tho we were just replacing a kitchen previously designed by Moben which was perfect.

lynnehills13 Tue 04-Jul-17 16:29:04

I am currently going through a terrible experience with MWF. We used them 11 years ago and they were brilliant. Sadly they have been taken over by Canburg and now they are dreadful. We are still trying to resolve things but we have had nothing but issues from day one. They 'forgot' to place our order but had our deposit for months. They then fitted the incorrect internal wood colour, wrong handles, hinges and tap. They have since wrongly templated the granite and then on refitting they fitted it badly so it now needs to be replaced. The customer service team are not customer friendly, just out to make money I'm afraid. We have also used a company call Blackfields furniture in Bristol. Far less expensive and much better service and quality. I am so disappointed with MWF. Did you resolve things in the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now