Talk

Advanced search

Smelly cupboard/wardrobe, any way to fix it?!

(11 Posts)
RoryG Sat 31-Oct-15 17:32:15

Dh uses a built in cupboard in the bedroom as a wardrobe and general dumping ground and it utterly smells of mould. Is there a way of getting rid of the smell? Also is there anything I can put in a wardrobe to freshen the smell? Thank you!

RoryG Sat 31-Oct-15 17:32:37

Ps there is no mould in it as far as I can tell.

wowfudge Sat 31-Oct-15 17:38:02

Is it on an external wall? I am willing to bet the back of the wardrobe has cut down air circulation and there is a mouldy wall behind the wardrobe. You may have an issue, like leaking guttering, or pointing which needs re-doing which means the wall is damp. It's no good masking the smell - you need to investigate what is making the place smell.

Varya Sat 31-Oct-15 17:39:47

Febreeze?

RoryG Sat 31-Oct-15 18:13:08

It's not an external wall, it's the wall adjoining next door. I don't know if it actually is mould as the smell is in pil's house too sometimes blush.

TheSpottedZebra Sat 31-Oct-15 18:14:50

Does it have muddy boots in there? They can get mouldy smelling.

RoryG Sat 31-Oct-15 18:20:18

No there are loads of old clothes in there. I think febreze is the way forward!

TheSpottedZebra Sat 31-Oct-15 18:21:46

Has anything been put away unwashed?
I'd make him wash every the, then put it all away properly dry.

RoryG Sat 31-Oct-15 18:25:22

Yes I bet there has! I think it's a damp smell actually. Thanks zebra I'll be telling him to wash everything smile

CalloftheHaunted Thu 12-Nov-15 22:49:56

I had a funny smell in my wardrobe that's against a cold solid wall. I took everything out and gave it a good spray with white vinegar. Rewashed all the clothes before putting them back in. It's been fine since.

RabbitSaysWoof Mon 16-Nov-15 20:05:42

Those salt dehumidifiers are good for cupboards to keep moisture down. Tumble dryer sheets hold a nice lasting fragrance rather than air fresheners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now