Talk

Advanced search

Fridge freezer woes

(4 Posts)
marshmallowpies Tue 27-Oct-15 12:12:18

We have a fridge freezer which is about 2 years old - free standing and not next to any other kitchen units (though it is in a corner so has two walls against it).

Trouble is, the freezer is not cold enough, ice cream is soft rather than rock hard and things like bread rolls are squidgy rather than frozen hard. If we turn the freezer temperature down, though, the fridge gets too cold and things like cucumbers get frozen solid inside. There is condensation on the back wall of the fridge inside, but it is not over-stuffed, nor is the freezer (it was quite full before but we've been running things down a bit to see if it helps).

So, I'm guessing what I actually need to look at is the fridge and fix that problem so that the freezer can be at the right temperature - any ideas?? Thank you in advance!

PigletJohn Tue 27-Oct-15 16:02:53

is it a frost-free freezer?

marshmallowpies Tue 27-Oct-15 16:38:00

Yes I think it's meant to be, most are these days aren't they? It was bought in 2013.

PigletJohn Tue 27-Oct-15 17:16:50

there is quite a good chance that the cold air ducts in the back have become choked with ice. Turn it off, take out all the food and eat it, pull it away from the wall, and leave both doors open until all water has stopped dripping both inside the cabinet, and into the drip dish round the back (clean out this dish as it is probably full of fluff and fungus)

If you turn it back on before it is dry, you have wasted your time. You can't get into these ducts, they are behind the lining.

If clearing out the ducts works, see how long it takes to get choked again. If it is the heater circuit that is supposed to warm the ducts and keep them clean, it can be repaired at some cost, but it may not be an economical repair. Be sure not to leave the freezer door open as this will encourage excessive icing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: