Talk

Advanced search

Your best tips for descaling a toilet, please.

(11 Posts)
ARichVernacular Tue 27-Oct-15 08:26:02

Yes, my life is that thrilling.

Both toilets are looking rather disgusting and I'd like to sort them out before Christmas. Have done bicarb/vinegar before but with limited success - I want it all gone!

GloriaHotcakes Tue 27-Oct-15 08:28:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ARichVernacular Tue 27-Oct-15 08:42:52

adds to shopping list

Between this and my discovering our first case of nits this morning, half term is really shaping up to be a winner grin

BatteryOperatedBoyfriend Tue 27-Oct-15 08:46:03

2ltr bottle of fat Coke!

nauticant Tue 27-Oct-15 08:49:37

I find this works well:

groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/76531927?&cmpid=ppc-_-ghs-_--_-google-_-

Liberal application onto the scaled surface and leave it an hour.

outputgap Tue 27-Oct-15 08:50:59

If it will not shift, an old fashioned pumice stone will take limescale off, but you must be careful not to do more harm than good apparently. It's worked well for me in the past.

Bubbletree4 Tue 27-Oct-15 09:24:43

Make sure when you do this, you have no other cleaning chemicals in the toilet as they can react together.

Durgol from Lakeland is a very effective de scaler that doesn't smell like a chemical factory. It is food safe even! You soak some kitchen roll in it, tape the kitchen roll over the lime scale for 20 mins ish and then rinse off. My 20 year old toilets are gleaming as are my 20 year old taps after using this stuff!

IsaBisaBuildsaBoat Tue 27-Oct-15 09:38:56

My top tip is to make sure you empty the toilet before putting anything down it. So scoop out the water that sits in the toilet down to the lowest level possible, then add coke or vinegar or whatever.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 27-Oct-15 12:26:58

100% limescale remover... overnight for 3/4 nights ... no work effort required.

RainbowBodyDouble Tue 27-Oct-15 12:37:15

My life has these exciting moments too.

Empty toilet bowl (just drop a bucket of water down it, mop left over water with old towel then put towel in empty bucket) three 45p bottles white vinegar in empty bowl then tape up.

24 hours later wipe with kitchen roll and flush.
If you don't tape it up your DP will drunkenly piss in it, declare he has some exotic kidney disease and wake you up to tell you...angry

SuburbanRhonda Tue 27-Oct-15 12:40:18

grin rainbow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now