Talk

Advanced search

Extra heat for a bedroom

(10 Posts)
Footle Mon 26-Oct-15 07:38:44

Any recommendations for an electric heater that's economical to run ?

donajimena Mon 26-Oct-15 07:47:20

I have an oil filled radiator which gives out a fantastic heat. I couldn't give you the exact running cost but I'm on one of those pre paid electric meters and I don't top up excessively in the winter.
I also have a fan heater which I might use for a quick blast in the morning but its unpleasant to use for long periods (too hot, too dry and no residual heat when switched off)

Footle Mon 26-Oct-15 08:22:38

Thank you, I hadn't thought about the radiator type. Sounds a good option.

PigletJohn Mon 26-Oct-15 12:27:15

electricity is unfortunately three times the price of energy from gas, but to warm a single bedroom, I agree an oil-filled rad is suitable. It gives out a more even heat than fan heaters or ordinary convectors, because the oil takes ten minutes or so to warm up and cool down, and it has a larger surface area giving off heat.

It is also safer, as it will not start a fire if a curtain or bedclothes accidentally fall on it.

be sure to get one with a thermostatic control, and if your room is largish or badly insulated, look at a 1500W heater. If it has a high/low switch it will bring the room to a reasonable temperature and then you can turn it down overnight. I am not keen on integral timers because they go wrong long before the heater itself, and dome are noisy. You must not use a timer with a fan or convector heater as it will come on when unattended and there may be flammable material on or around it.

Bedroom radiators are typically about 1500W output but don't usually need to run at max heat for long. When I was living in a house I was renovating, the bedroom needed a 3kW fan heater in frosty weather, until the day I insulated the loft, when it dropped down to about 800W.

At this time of year, supermarts and hardware outlets stock heaters, but as soon as cold weather comes, they will be inundated with buyers and will be sold out until next year. A cheap own-brand of electric heater has exactly the same heat:electricity:cost performance as the most fashionable and high-tech electric heater you can buy (sellers of expensive heaters may try to trick you).

PigletJohn Mon 26-Oct-15 12:35:59

some examples

www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/oil-filled-radiators/cat7230008?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-Plumbing-_-oilfilledrads

www.wilko.com/search?q=oil+radiator&=Search

Tesco are currently out of stock of the cheaper ones.

If we have a mild winter and a warm spring, you will find them selling off remaining stock at half price in April.

You might also consider an electric blanket. Same pricing policy applies.

HeyMacWey Mon 26-Oct-15 12:37:51

Definitely recommend an oil filled rad.

Footle Mon 26-Oct-15 14:43:47

Thanks all, and particularly to PigletJ for such a detailed reply - and the links. No Wilkos or Screwfixes around here but I now know what to look for.

PigletJohn Mon 26-Oct-15 14:49:08

Screwfix deliver, but charge for small orders. I can't see the price.

also www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/searchterm/oil%20radiator#S-3

and www.diy.com/departments/heating-insulation/heaters/oil-filled-radiators/DIY579348.cat?&prodNum=6&fromUtil=true&fromFacetForm=false&searchMode=and&sortOption=price-ascending-numprop&pageSize=6

Footle Mon 26-Oct-15 20:09:17

Thanks again, PJ.

cozietoesie Wed 28-Oct-15 10:54:24

I actually bought online one of those rads that PJ linked to from Screwfix - ordered on Monday early evening, arrived Tuesday lunchtime - and it's a very decent little radiator which is doing the job nicely in the bedroom it was planned for. (Already a central heating radiator there but that's not totally cutting it in colder weather so I just needed a top up as necessary.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: