Talk

Advanced search

I don't like my Miele hoover- it smells!

(28 Posts)
Gatekeeper Sun 25-Oct-15 13:47:18

even with a new hoover bag and new filter it still has an unpleasant dirty dust smell blowing out after a couple of days. No pets, it hasn't been used on anything damp and is used on normal household dust and fluff. Eight months old

I have used Dyson cleaners for years and years and I really miss them now. Wish I had gone for a cylinder model instead of this one

Anyone else not feel the love?

lavent Sun 25-Oct-15 13:51:13

I'd try soaking a clean cloth in zoflora and putting it inside the bag....

NotTodaySatan Sun 25-Oct-15 13:51:49

Well there must be something wrong with it as Miele vaccuums don't smell and don't emit dust. They're loads better than Dysons.

Surely you're under warranty at 8 months? They came and collected mine when the suction decreased and brought it back a few days later working like a dream. And all for free.

Give them a ring.

StealthPolarBear Sun 25-Oct-15 13:53:01

When ours was like this it had a blockage. Take it apart and use a wire coat hanger to push and pull stuff out of the hose at the back. So satisfying and ours has been wonderful since

Gatekeeper Sun 25-Oct-15 14:00:06

suction is fantastic to the extent that I struggle pushing it around the rugs at times- it's just the smell

rabbit123 Sun 25-Oct-15 14:56:07

If you're struggling to push it, chances are you've got the suction up too high.

I'd give Miele a ring - it shouldn't smell at all. They're customer service is brilliant, they'll be able to sort it out for you

Tostartagain Sun 25-Oct-15 15:28:17

I'm not keen on my Miele washing machine, Miele just don't seem to live up to their name do they.

Footle Mon 26-Oct-15 07:32:42

Well yes, in my opinion they do.

greenhill Mon 26-Oct-15 07:56:24

If it smells there is something wrong with it. Phone Customer Services.

Gatekeeper Mon 26-Oct-15 08:54:39

right- have emailed them! DH who didn't want to get the Miele in the first place is grumbling about the smell when its on chuntering about Dysons <grr>

Gatekeeper Tue 03-Nov-15 01:38:27

not particularly impressed with their customer support either- have emailed them twice following initial query and they haven't responded to any of them

5BlueHydrangea Tue 03-Nov-15 01:45:39

Call them...

rabbit123 Tue 03-Nov-15 11:29:42

I rang their customer services when we were having trouble with our dishwasher (which turned out to be something and nothing) and the problem was sorted within half an hour.

Also, if you think your Miele smells, you should have a sniff of a Dyson that's top cyclones (which you can't get to!!) have got blocked up with rotting pet hair.

Gatekeeper Tue 03-Nov-15 18:01:32

right then- emailed them again and they finally responded and all they can suggest is buying a £20 filter which blocks 'unpleasant odours' hmm

def NOT impressed...

Gatekeeper Tue 03-Nov-15 18:02:38

rabbit123 I've had Dysons since 1991 and never had the smell that I've had with this brand new Miele

greenhill Tue 03-Nov-15 18:37:19

Have you changed the bag since you complained? Could there be something stuck in the brush head or pipe? Could a filter be jammed? Have you had a look at the interior to see if there are scorch marks or sticky bits?

Mine has never done this and smells completely neutral, not even hot, after it's been on for some time. It does seem very odd.

Gatekeeper Tue 03-Nov-15 18:49:13

checked everything and bag gets date marked and changed every fortnight whether it needs it or not; it is only 6 months old and started smelling within a few weeks

Gatekeeper Tue 03-Nov-15 18:50:20

filter gets changed monthly as well

rabbit123 Tue 03-Nov-15 18:52:48

Gatekeeper, that's odd because the first Dyson didn't come out until 1993 hmm.

Anyway, we had a DC07 Animal. We bought it with a plan to replace the old Sebo X1 that my in laws gave us when they upgraded (which they bought new in 1994). The Dyson was great for the first few months. Then the hose split, hose clip snapped, clutch jammed, bin release clip broke. The top layer of cyclones before the filter got blocked up with old cat hair and you couldn't get into it to clean it. Blocked the suction and it stank.

Went back to using the Sebo within a year and we still haven't replaced it. I've not found anything that's as good. Apart from my parents Kirby but that cost a small fortune.

Gatekeeper Tue 03-Nov-15 19:03:22

? 1991? I thought that's when it was as I moved into my first home then - with cats- does the date matter?

rabbit123 Tue 03-Nov-15 19:10:01

Gatekeeper, I had to google it lol. I remember Dyson first coming out and thought "surely it can't be that long ago?" Lol. It was apparently 1993 smile

e1y1 Sat 14-Nov-15 20:41:55

I feel for you, I bought my first ever Meile appliance - a hoover, and I hate mine too. Just like yours it smells and doesn't pick up that great (and my house is very clean, the carpets in the entire house are brand new as of 6 months back. It has made me reconsider buying anything Miele, although I have been eyeing up their washing machines, but not sure I would.

Gatekeeper Sun 15-Nov-15 15:38:35

I spoke to customers services regarding this and all they said was to buy a carbon filter thing @ £20 hmm which 'should last a few weeks'. Not impressed esp as the vacuum is only 8 months old

Really wish I hadn't bothered - between this and the bags and the other filter I have to replace it - there is a lot more expense than i bargained for

rabbit123 Sun 15-Nov-15 16:27:06

Gatekeeper, that's ridiculous. The Active carbon filters have a time strip on them - they're supposed to last a year!

FrogFairy Sun 15-Nov-15 20:17:59

Assuming it does a good job of cleaning the carpet, you could try those sachets that you pop in the bag that freshen the air as you vacuum. Glade and Neutradol both make them. I appreciate that you should not have to do this, but it may help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now