Talk

Advanced search

Persistent funky/mildewy smell in laundry

(9 Posts)
BillyDaveysDaughter Sun 25-Oct-15 12:06:29

Not all laundry, it's just the bedclothes - duvet covers, sheets and pillowcases. Maybe the occasional towel. All other laundry is fine.

I must have folded and put one set in the airing cupboard slightly damp at some point, and it smelled of mildew when I went to use it so I put it all back through the wash - that one has been ok, but one by one, all the remaining single and king size sets have slowly developed the same smell - it's the wet dog smell, combined with cheesy feet.

I've tried everything. Baking soda, soaking, line drying, tumble drying, airing for 24 hrs before putting away, extra washing powder, extra conditioner. All other laundry, more or less, is okay.

No smell in washing machine. Dryer working fine. No funky stuff in airing cupboard - an old dust sheet I've had stuffed in the back of it for nearly 2 years smells fresh as a daisy!

I have 5 sets of all but unusable bedding, it reeks. blush Any ideas? I'll gladly replace it if I have to, maybe you can't ever get rid of it?

dementedpixie Sun 25-Oct-15 14:48:43

Zoflora disinfectant in with the fabric softener ?

ingeniousidiot Sun 25-Oct-15 14:52:26

Have you tried white vinegar? It sorted out the sicky smell of my cooking apron.

Tarzanlovesgaby Sun 25-Oct-15 14:53:41

how hot do you wash?
bedding should be washed at 60 or above to kill dustmites.

I would wash the cupboard where the sheets are stored with water/vinegar. and air it well (open doors) before putting sheets back.

CiderwithBuda Sun 25-Oct-15 14:56:13

What temp are you washing them at?

We have had similar with some normal washing recently - mainly DH's stuff.

I ran a couple of 95 degree washes with nothing in the machine and then used th Dettol washing machine cleaner. Cleaned around th seal. Removed the drawer and cleaned that thuroughly and the filter. Ran a couple of 60 degree washes with nothing in.

Bought Dettol washing stuff and added a scoop if that to the wash and it seemed to help. Also put a bit less in the machine. DH wondered if I was putting too much in at one time. Seems to be helping.

Seems odd that it's only bedding etc in your case. Although now that I think if it i have a few sets that seem to hold a smell.

BillyDaveysDaughter Sun 25-Oct-15 15:09:26

Thanks everyone. Generally everything gets washed at 30 or 40, with normal levels of product. I've stripped out the airing cupboard (which is very small, only one slatted shelf really) and it just smells like the inside of a cupboard.

Washing machine has had a number of 90 degree empty washes with soda - haven't tried white vinegar yet, thanks! I don't think.machine is overloaded, it tends to crash around with too much in it so we're pretty cautious.

In the US I think there is a product called "smelly washer" which eliminates fabric odours. Trying to find something similar here *goes off to search

Thanks for the replies, appreciated!

PigletJohn Sun 25-Oct-15 17:14:15

sometimes this is due to bacteria or moulds living in the fabric and multiplying when damp. I thought a tumble drier would kill it, if you let it run to hot and dry, so will a sunny day on the line. If not, a 60C cotton wash, using a powder (not a liquid) would help. Powders contain a bleaching agent.

trixymalixy Sun 25-Oct-15 17:21:39

I would wash the bedding on a hot wash with biological powder and white vinegar. 30-40 isn't really hot enough to get rid of mildew smells.

CiderwithBuda Sun 25-Oct-15 22:41:45

I do bedding and towels etc on 60. Not sure 40 is hot enough to kill off bacteria etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: