Talk

Advanced search

Dull thread alert! Where does tumble drier fluff come from?

(10 Posts)
GreenSand Sun 25-Oct-15 10:54:53

OK, so the simple answer is the stuff I'm drying.
But if I don't tumble, there is no way we generate the amount of fluff coming off each load just wearing the clothes, so are we wearing the clothes out faster??
Just got a drier in the new house, and astounded by the amount of fluff that comes off the filter each load!

anothernumberone Sun 25-Oct-15 10:57:01

The abrasion and friction of the clothes against the dryer and each other is my best guess. Also I reckon, well know, it is charged so that stops it from aggregating in a compact manner.

Bimblywibble Sun 25-Oct-15 11:26:35

I think it's got to be wearing the clothes out faster. Or the fluff-shedding ones anyway.

I read somewhere once that most of the "wearing out" of clothes is due to washing, not wearing.

alexw Mon 26-Oct-15 10:12:43

It does make great kindling/fire lighters though"

GreenSand Mon 26-Oct-15 10:24:24

Hmmm, heating not an issue. Were still on aircon at 25 being 10 oC cooler than outside......

OK, so expect to replace things more often. Great, more shopping sad

Qwebec Thu 29-Oct-15 05:28:20

Part of the fluff comes from the dryer but par of it is also from the washer it's just that you don't notice it after a wash bc it's on the clothes. Honestly the wear is not that bad with the canadian winters a dyer is a must and my clothes still last over 10 years for the frequently worn stuff.

On an other note why do you have a dryer at 35 degrees and with A/C? Is it humid where you live? I daydreame sometimes of all the things I could let go of if I lived in a milder climate!

GreenSand Thu 29-Oct-15 09:45:02

I didn't have a drier in UK, but no one, and I mean no one, dries stuff outside here. Suspect it's to do with modesty and dust in the air.
What do you mean re aircon? Essential when the thermometer hits the high 40s, I'd say. Washing machine, boiler and tumbler in a separate, unconditioned, part of the house.

SheSparkles Thu 29-Oct-15 09:46:41

And why is it always purple?

Bimblywibble Thu 29-Oct-15 10:38:18

Yes I've heard line drying is a peculiarly british thing. Seems bizarre to me, because it's so much nicer. But I suppose I only think that because I'm British!

Good tip about firelighting. And ours is always blue!

specialsubject Thu 29-Oct-15 10:54:24

having been to some tropical climes, I don't know what they did before tumble driers. The humidity is something else.

line drying is not just British, it happens in most suitable climates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now