Vinegar or Bicarbonate for lime scale remover?

(5 Posts)
Aquamarine70 Sat 24-Oct-15 14:43:53

I'm in Australia & there doesn't seem to be any products in the supermarket like Viakal for removing limescale in bathrooms. I did get a spray from a shop like Homebse but it hasn't worked at all in my shower. If I mixed white vinegar with bicarbonate & made a paste would that work?

wowfudge Sat 24-Oct-15 16:09:48

Those two would cancel each other out after an initial fizzing reacting. Vinegar or lemon juice would do the trick.

IndomitabIe Sat 24-Oct-15 16:21:18

Vinegar.

Limescale is calcium carbonate, it'll be dissolved by something acidic (like vinegar or lemon juice as PP (on app so can't check name, sorry) says).

I don't understand why people use vinegar and bicarbonate together, because as PP says they'd neutralise each other if used in he correct quantities (so you may as well use water), but realistically you'd never get it exactly right so would have either an acidic or alkaline solution, so you may as well have used just one or the other.

However, I've never tried it, so maybe I'm missing something.

Aquamarine70 Sun 25-Oct-15 13:00:21

I'll give the vinegar on it's own a go & see if that works. Thanks.

PigletJohn Sun 25-Oct-15 17:05:32

look out for citric acid, obtainable as fine powder and does not make your house smell of chips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now