Talk

Advanced search

Where can I get lots of bicarbonate of soda cheap?

(16 Posts)
BabySnoring Fri 23-Oct-15 10:44:34

My fridge was smelling and there was nothing going off or anything and all the surfaces were clean. I remembered reading something about bicarbonate and absorbing smells. I left a pot in last night and the smell has gone! It was like magic! I'm really impressed.

So I'm thinking ill be needing lots more and was hoping there was somewhere I could buy lots cheaply.

Are there any other uses i should know about too?

TIA smile

MadauntofA Fri 23-Oct-15 14:45:17

I love the stuff but haven't found it in large quantities yet. I seem to remember a previous post who suggested a Chinese cash and carry store I think! Great for general cleaning/ scrubbing. Just cleaned the microwave last night and stink gone. Also great for scrubbing carpets where vomit and other disgusting things have been then hoovering up when dry.

fenneltea Fri 23-Oct-15 14:55:50

This store sells it:- www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/461468_Bicarbonate_of_Soda_1kg.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shop&utm_campaign=feed&gclid=CKCyjPLe2MgCFecSwwod7UgGPQ

Also try agricultural stores, some people feed it to horses.

slicedfinger Fri 23-Oct-15 14:59:15

Most supermarkets do 1kg bags of the crystals (so not for cooking!) in the cleaning section. I can't remember the brand name, but it is a green bag.

Fizrim Fri 23-Oct-15 15:02:57

Slicedfinger, I think that is soda crystals not bicarb. They are brilliant for cleaning and for drains with hot water.

Have you tried Wilkos? That sells larger packs of some items such as bicarb and citric acid.

slicedfinger Fri 23-Oct-15 15:05:18

Thanks Fizrim, I'm sure you are right. I thought they were the same thing, just not ground up!

penny13610 Fri 23-Oct-15 15:07:10

Hardware store, of the good old fashioned variety.

Notso Fri 23-Oct-15 15:22:10

Wilko do 500g for £1.50.

BabySnoring Fri 23-Oct-15 23:15:52

Thanks everyone. I don't have a Chinese supermarket anywhere near me but Wilko sounds perfect. I'll pop in tomorrow.

BubsandMoo Sat 24-Oct-15 01:08:27

Amazon! I get everything on Amazon grin about a fiver for a kilo, on prime too if you have it

twinky Sat 24-Oct-15 09:52:08

I buy mine from my local pharmacy. It caused much consternation the first time I ordered it with a few questions about what I was going to do with it. I came home complaining to my policeman DH who laughed and said that it is often used in large quantities by drug dealers to mix their heroin. shock

didireallysaythat Sat 24-Oct-15 11:26:03

Ebay ?

DonnaRocksMyWorld Sat 24-Oct-15 11:38:04

fizrim Do soda crystals help clean pipes then? We have a chronic issue with the one in the kitchen and the plumber won't let me use anything too strong like Mr muscle etc.

PigletJohn Sat 24-Oct-15 14:35:10

25kg for £23.50

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xbicarbonate.TRS0&_nkw=bicarbonate&_sacat=0

Fizrim Sat 24-Oct-15 22:10:28

I find soda crystals good for pipes - make a strong solution with a kettle of boiling water, pour that down the drain, wait a bit then follow with another kettle of boiling water. May need to repeat, it's good at getting rid of grease.

You can make the solution in a jug or in the sink -if the sink has a plug with a chain. Don't do what I did when I moved house, pour the boiling water into the sink and then realise that you've got one of those pop plugs that you need to pull!

Why can't you use Mr Muscle? Soda crystals are sodium carbonate, may be in Mr Muscle as well. There is a totally ruthless drain cleaner that can eat through a plastic bottle, the reviews on Amazon are entertaining.

slightlyglitterpaned Sun 25-Oct-15 12:15:16

Bear in mind that you'll need a suitable container/place to store it - bought a 3kg bag from Chinese supermarket, but as we left it in the bag instead of transferring it to something more damp proof, it's now turned into one solid lump. Still okay for cleaning if we chip lumps off but not so convenient!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now