Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best biodegradable 'plastic' bags for kitchen bin?

(5 Posts)
ProfessorDent Tue 20-Oct-15 13:07:13

I really don't mind the 5p charge, and it has cut down on the plastic bags I take from the supermarket, but I did use them to line the kitchen bin with them before putting tieing it up and putting it out in the big green bin outside.

Now I'm not sure what to do, is there a decent priced 'plastic' bag of the same size as those old orange Sainsbury's bags that we can get and use, without feeling that we are simply bypassing the new regulations. In other words, a bag that will degrade?

WingsClipped Wed 21-Oct-15 12:33:14

Why would you need the bag to be biodegradable if the things you are putting in are going to landfill? Biodegradable bags only work under certain conditions so if it's filled with non organic matter and sitting in landfill, it would still take hundreds of years to degrade.

I use the white drawstring binbags from waitrose for the normal bin, a separate non bagged bin for the recycling (which gets rinsed out) and then the small biodegradable caddy liners from Amazon for the food waste bin.

ProfessorDent Wed 21-Oct-15 13:51:03

Hmm, well maybe a lot of paper bags of a certain size would be better then?

EYPEdinburgh Sun 25-Oct-15 18:48:06

I have no idea if they're bio-degradable but we always use bin bags from Lidl. They are really strong and come in loads of different sizes. With all the recycling now a roll lasts us months and months.

Ramona75 Tue 27-Oct-15 11:53:15

I hate spending money on items that I have to throw away:-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now