Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there any point in putting washing out on the line this time of year?

(21 Posts)
Samwelly Tue 20-Oct-15 10:55:58

Nothing seems to dry, so barely worth the effort?

ShowOfHands Tue 20-Oct-15 10:57:51

If there's a good breeze, then yes. I've dried two loads on the line since yesterday morning. I don't have much choice though. It's the line or wet washing EVERYWHERE.

Electrolux2 Tue 20-Oct-15 10:59:15

Yes if you have sun or wind
I dried 3 loads yesterday. I try to avoid washing until it's a day when it would dry outside.
Sometimes needs 5 minutes in the tumble drier if I haven't bought it in before 5. It gets damp again quickly.

PigletJohn Tue 20-Oct-15 11:04:33

even if it only halves the amount of water, that's 50% saved on your electricity bill for the tumble drier (costs 20p-30p per hour) or, if you drape wet washing around your home, it's 50% less damp, condensation and mould.

minime8 Tue 20-Oct-15 11:08:40

Yes! As above, also uv light (from daylight, doesn't necessarily need to be sunny) helps with any stains (helpful for toddlers washing!). Also, as above. My washing is on the line all day before a 20 minute tumble to finish it off, much more energy efficient than tumble drying straight from the washer smile

GreenSand Tue 20-Oct-15 11:14:16

Yes, makes a massive difference to how long it takes to finish drying when you bring it inside - unless it's raining

Samwelly Tue 20-Oct-15 11:29:29

Good points raised by all. I think that I will keep persevering with hanging it out!

specialsubject Wed 21-Oct-15 17:31:51

washing can go out year-round if the weather is right that day.

no-one assumes that because we get rainy days in summer, that means the whole season won't dry washing.

rumred Wed 21-Oct-15 20:00:47

It smells so good I still put mine out whenever it's dry. Never need plug in smelly things here

MinesAPintOfTea Wed 21-Oct-15 20:05:34

Today no, we've been in a cloud all day so everything outside is dripping. Last week though we had a lovely bright and breezy time and most things came in dry.

If the floor is drying, your clothes will too.

specialsubject Wed 21-Oct-15 20:28:17

ditto here - big pile of clean dry bedding. And I'm north of Watford too.

plug ins? Eewwwww....

willfuckformichilenstarfood Thu 22-Oct-15 18:03:48

I put mine out the other day and when I got it in I thought it was a waste of time, however about an hour later it was dry (had been on the aired) so must have been drying from the inside out!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 22-Oct-15 21:14:03

I put mine overnight if the forecast is good, it gets quite blowy overnight.

A spin dryer makes it much easier to dry outside all year round.

FiveShelties Thu 22-Oct-15 21:55:19

Still putting mine out (North West), bring in before temperature drops and pop on airer. Love to dry or partly dry outside - smells fantastic.

Cirsium Thu 22-Oct-15 22:02:28

Have had loads out most days this week, DH gets them in and hangs on airers if need be late afternoon while I am at work (He works evenings) and nearly all dry and ready to fold by the time DD is in bed. Which means I don't have to listen to the whirr of the dehumidifier all evening.

Muckogy Sat 24-Oct-15 20:14:23

yes!!
once its above freezing and/or the sun is out and/or there's a breeze, the washing goes out.
its better to put it all outside rather than creating damp while drying indoors.

ouryve Sat 24-Oct-15 20:17:51

I did get most of the moisture out of a couple of bath mats in the breeze, yesterday. They still needed a few hours indoors, with a dehumidifier, though.

I wouldn't have bothered today, though - it was too wet, this morning.

dalmatianmad Sat 24-Oct-15 20:18:31

Yes I've emptied my wash basket this week whilst I've been off work, it's all dried, couple of loads have needed 10 minutes in the tumble dryer. I love hanging my washing out!!

treesntrees Mon 26-Oct-15 22:29:17

I hung a line of washing out this morning at just after nine and brought it in after four when I got back. It was all dry including the towels. It will be put in the airing cupboard when I go upstairs. I do usually do my washing according to the weather forecast but I do realize that with a couple or more children this may not be possible all the time but every little helps.

Qwebec Tue 03-Nov-15 21:43:02

Once I tested how long I could hang my clothes outside. Here in Canada: mid november. It was freezing outside, the clothes came in so stiff they would stand on their own and my fingers hurt like hell, but they were nearly done, it did not take long in the tumble dyer to get them dry. However I called it quits because of the pain caused by the cold. So you can pretty much do it as long as you can stand it.

EmGee Mon 16-Nov-15 12:45:37

I even hang my washing out (under cover) if it's raining. At this time of year though, I normally finish the clothes off in the dryer because they just feel damp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now