Talk

Advanced search

Wood Burner Blackens Glass Last Thing At Night

(7 Posts)
kah22 Mon 19-Oct-15 15:31:28

I’ve recently installed a wood burner and have gotten to know it over the past number of weeks (well almost!).

One problem I’m still having is with the glass blackening last thing at night.

I can manage while the fire is well lit; my difficulty lies with it at the end of the night when the last log is beginning to die out it is then that the glass starts to blacken. Any tips on how to prevent this? I am using well-seasoned logs

My stove is a Varde Aura 11

As always many thanks for your help

lk26 Mon 19-Oct-15 15:41:26

Is it because you shut off all the air at night ?
To clean it use damp newspaper dipped in the ash. Useful tip !

OurBlanche Mon 19-Oct-15 15:52:32

I don't clean mine much. The next fire burns it off if you let it get really hot. But I do use newspaper and ash during a spring clean.

Don't be tempted to use scrapers, scratchy things. If it really bothers you do what both of my granddads did, clean the glass very morning, soapy rag will do it. Or one of those glass hob cleaners. I have used the Magic Sponge with good effect too!

It happens as it loses ventilation. Even with good ventilation there will always be some smoke, and it really loves glass!

specialsubject Mon 19-Oct-15 16:47:07

yes, it does that when you shut it down before going to bed - as you should otherwise you might get draughts and some smoke smell.

keep a used pan scrubber handy - the ones with one side sponge, the other side scrub. It must be used so it is not too scratchy. Dampen it, dip in ash, use to clean glass. Dry/polish with one square of kitchen towel. Job done.

Bimblywibble Sat 24-Oct-15 21:27:07

You could try opening up the air vent so the last log burns with more oxygen? Possibly. We don't bother, we just use wet newspaper and ash to scrub it off now and then

CuttedUpPear Sat 24-Oct-15 21:31:14

It's part and parcel of having a wood burning stove.
It's shutting down the oxygen intake that does it.
Either clean it every morning or get used to having sooty windows like me.

I am very much cringing at the use of the word gotten though.

<wanders off, whistling, to Pedants Corner>

TyrionLannistersShadow Sat 24-Oct-15 21:40:20

Damp cloth with some ash on it will clean it nicely. It's part of having a stove I am afraid, it's because it's burning at a low heat with vents partially closed, high heat with plenty of ventilation clears the glass. I just clean the glass with a damp cloth and ashes the next day when I am cleaning out the stove.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now