Talk

Advanced search

Valance Sheets - God I have been thick!

(9 Posts)
MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Mon 19-Oct-15 12:57:15

At least I think I have been thick grin

Does a valance sheet literally cover the base of the bed (and you buy a separate sheet for the mattress)?

I have been going around forever thinking that the valance did both jobs.

Not a big fan of divan beds but have been given a super comfortable one for the spare room so have gratefully accepted!

Nosey question, what do you store in the drawers under the bed?

5BlueHydrangea Mon 19-Oct-15 12:58:42

I think you can get two different types..
Under my bed? Clothes.. Trousers, jumpers, oh and my passport!

ivykaty44 Mon 19-Oct-15 13:01:24

Most valence fit under the mattress but there are a few bottom sheets that have a valence cited undernieth

I keep pillows and bedding in divan draws

Deucebumps Mon 19-Oct-15 13:05:59

I have my valance just covering the divan base (put some folds and secured with safety pins on the top so it hung just to the floor) and then make up the mattress separately with mattress protector and fitted sheet. Mostly because I only have one valance and stripping the whole thing to launder and iron the folds back in every 2 weeks was too much like hard work blushAnd this way I never actually sleep on it so doesn't get dirty really.
When I change the bedding I run a cheap lint roller around the valance to get hair/fluff etc off.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Mon 19-Oct-15 13:07:26

I have a vague recollection of an "all in one" valance sheet on a bed in my DM's house. It would come off the corners and move about as I turned in bed during the night, it was irritating and uncomfortable to say the least angry

Maybe that's why I said I'm not keen!

honeysucklejasmine Mon 19-Oct-15 13:11:19

Ours just goes over the valance base. We keep towels, thick jumpers and blankets in the base.

ENtertainmentAppreciated Mon 19-Oct-15 13:15:31

I have one on a spare bed, the valance goes under the mattress and I keep bedlinen in the drawers one side and the other side is my stock of wrapping paper, cards and presents. No one else but me ever thinks to look in there grin

SellFridges Mon 19-Oct-15 13:18:01

I would think the same as you did! Fortunately I hate the look so none in our house!

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Mon 19-Oct-15 13:18:35

Yep, there are two types. Base-only and separate mattress sheet is more common but if you have pets who brush up against the bed or some in with dirty paws or something - or young children with mucky hands! - an all-in-one would save you having to lift the mattress to get the valance off, and again to get it back in again, every week. We don't have pets so have separate ones, wash the mattress sheet every week and the valance every couple of months (I vacuum the valance with the upholstery attachment and low suction in between).

We keep spare bedding in the drawers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now