Talk

Advanced search

cleaning grout on floor tiles

(6 Posts)
applegate79 Sat 17-Oct-15 20:59:56

I'm after a bit of advice! I have just spent two hours scrubbing the grout between my kitchen floor tiles with bleach and a toothbrush. They were really grubby snd now look lovely, however the room is a large kitchen diner and I do not want to do this often! I have 3 dc and a dog and do mop on a nearly daily basis but it just doesn't keep the grout clean, I have a steam mop and a normal mop which I tend to alternate between.
Any tips?!

RockinHippy Sun 18-Oct-15 04:20:20

We have White grout on our kitchen floor tiles that badly needs attention again so I feel your pain I've found that mixing a paste of bicarbonate of soda with bleach & painting it over the grout saves a lot of scrubbing.

You can buy a water proof sealant for stone etc, I forget the brand & have ran out, so can't check right now, but it comes in a large metal Jerry can type of bottle. You just paint it over the cleaned slate, grout etc & it helps protect it from spill ages & dirt, It doesn't last for ever, but definitely helps

RockinHippy Sun 18-Oct-15 04:21:28

You'll find it in hardware shops, or places like B&Q

LeaveMyWingsBehindMe Sun 18-Oct-15 04:25:31

I did this and I have a huge kitchen - it took me about 2 days work!

Then I remembered I had an unused steam cleaner with a fine nooks and crannies nozzle stuck at the back of a cupboard somewhere…..

Problem solved. It worked a treat and was nowhere near as time consuming or back breaking.

applegate79 Sun 18-Oct-15 06:43:52

I think I need to clean again and try and seal it. The dirt just tends to gravitate into the gaps. ...note to self no matter how lovely pale grout is it's not practical!

ceres Sun 18-Oct-15 09:25:06

I used oxiclean on my filthy grout. It was originally pale grey but in high traffic areas it ended up very dark grey despite regular mopping.

The oxiclean brought it up as new. It was a bit of a pain to do but not as bad as scrubbing with a toothbrush! I just flooded the grout lines with the solution and left it to do the work. It took a lot of mopping afterwards as the oxiclean left a film on the tiles, but the floor looked like new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now