Talk

Advanced search

Washed lamb skin buggy liner... It reeks!

(9 Posts)
Buglife Tue 22-Sep-15 10:44:13

I have a John Lewis buggy liner made of sheepskin, I have just washed it for the first time following the instructions exactly, 40 degree wool wash with gentle Non Bio and no fabric softener. I hung it on the airer afterwards to dry and the whole room reeks like a dead animal! It stinks. I know it is a dead animal but ugh, it can't smell like this now can it? I've just stuck it on a cool tumble again allowed on the washing label, but halfway through I've checked and it still stinks. Anyone else had similar? What can I do?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 22-Sep-15 10:48:33

Oh I really feel for you! I did this with feather pillows and in the end I had to throw them out as the smell was unbearable, even after days on the line airing out! I hope someone comes along with a magic fix for you flowers

PigletJohn Tue 22-Sep-15 11:14:17

you have to dry it really fast, and cold, to prevent decay bacteria and moulds growing while it is damp. An indoor airer is not good. Don't wash or dry hot as you will cook it.

A good windy day on the washing line is I think essential.

Buglife Tue 22-Sep-15 12:00:22

It stank as soon as I opened the washing machine! It's on a cool tumble and I hope it will tumble out the smell, or I'll be unimpressed with JL washing instructions. It said up to 40 degrees, maybe that was too hot? Today is also possibly the wettest day in history here so I am stuck with the stinky thing in the house!

VeryPunny Tue 22-Sep-15 12:06:46

I've got exactly the same liner (or very similar; JL sheepskin job) and have washed it fine with no problems - think I hung it on the line though. It might have smelt a bit like a damp dog when wet but once it was properly dry it was fine.

Buglife Tue 22-Sep-15 12:11:18

Well another tumble check and the wool bit smells a lot better and the back of it is less foul as well, so I hope by the end of the drying process it will be ok!

SoupDragon Tue 22-Sep-15 12:13:06

Wet wool always smells like wet dog. Even washing small areas of carpet with wool in stinks.

It does go though.

Buglife Tue 22-Sep-15 12:26:31

Yeah, I think it's so strong as the back 'skin' bit of the fleece was the worst, so it was like wet jumper x 100!

PolterGoose Wed 23-Sep-15 20:43:55

It will be fine, ds's sheep's fleece has been washed many times in his 12 years, he uses it as a little rug now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now