Help! Quickest cycle w/machine for disabled dad

(29 Posts)
cappy123 Sun 06-Sep-15 13:59:55

Hi there

I bought my dad a washing machine and we did a wash trying to find the shortest cycle. No exaggeration, it took 3 hours, we timed it. My dad, who can get quite stubborn, refuses to use it again because of the length of time and how much that might cost in leccy.

But where dad is increasingly frail and needing more and more care, he's able to get out to the laundrette less and less. So he's simply not washing his clothes. If I can get him a machine with the shortest poss cycle then it'll be easier to convince him to get his carers/cleaners to put it on for him.

Any recommendations please of what might be suitable makes and models? Sorry I can't remember the make of his one. Thanks

SomethingOfTheNight Sun 06-Sep-15 14:06:40

I have Bosch Wash & Dry Avantixx, it has 15 min wash cycle at 30 degrees or 20 min cycle at 40 degrees.

Best of luck.

purplewhale Sun 06-Sep-15 14:09:06

Does the machine he has not have shorter programs? Most do. Mine has a 30 minute one. The standard wash is 90 mins

NeuNewNouveau Sun 06-Sep-15 14:12:55

My Bosch also has a 15min programme but I would say it's a really quick rather than a great wash.

So it was ideal for yesterday when DS wanted to wear jeans that had mud on them and time was tight. A 15min wash got that off as it was easy but I have occasionally used a 15min wash on 'worn' clothes and it doesn't remove grease marks or thoroughly clean odours so I'd not want to use it all the time.

The standard wash is 1hr and you can reduce that to 48mins if it is not chockablock.

NeuNewNouveau Sun 06-Sep-15 14:13:33

It also has a magic pause button so you can stop it and add something if you've forgotten. Now that is amazing!!

5678group Sun 06-Sep-15 14:14:26

Find out what machine he has and mumsnetters will find a short cycle on it! I'd put money on it. smile

rabbit123 Sun 06-Sep-15 17:43:52

Quick washes almost always skip a rinse and do a short spin only.

Beko do a model with a "daily" cycle, that does a full 7kg or 8kg load with a full spin. It takes 39 minutes on 30 degrees, 45 on 40 degrees or 55 on 60 degrees. Not too expensive either, so it won't break the bank.

ao.com/product/wmb714422-beko-washing-machine-white-34471-1.aspx

BaggiesBaggies Sun 06-Sep-15 17:51:29

I have a Bosch machine that's about ten years old now but has a 'refresh' programme of 19 mins, mixed load 35 mins (plus 12 to spin) and 'standard' 40° wash is 1 hour 10 mins. Energy efficiency is good. I would recommend Bosch as they must have even faster ones now. Mine has lasted well.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 06-Sep-15 17:56:27

Samsung Ecobubble has a 15 minute cycle but as rabbit says it has only one rinse and a short spin so clothes are noticeably wetter and it doesn't touch any stains.

Daily wash is 1:03mins which is ok, can extend to 1:32 mins by adding a soak if washing is very dirty (which I wouldn't expect to use too much leccy as it just sits there when soaking with an occasional drum rotation).

It has loads of options to reduce/increase number of rinses/spins etc so reduce/increase times.

rabbit123 Sun 06-Sep-15 18:00:26

Another thing to note is that quick washes are normally only designed for small loads. The express 40 wash on our Miele is only suitable for half loads, whereas the Beko daily quick cycle will do a full load.

We had a Beko prior to our Miele. It didn't have the daily quick cycle as it was a very basic model. We only paid about £180 for it as we needed a washer cheap and quick, but we had it for a good 6 years with heavy use before it packed up and the wash results were fine.

Snoopadoop Sun 06-Sep-15 18:20:08

My Bosch VarioPerfect has a quick (30 min) and a super quick (15 min) cycle. Most others are around the 1hr 30min mark.

MrsMummyPig Sun 06-Sep-15 18:25:30

I can recommend the one rabbit linked to. Lots of short cycles to choose from.

PotteringAlong Sun 06-Sep-15 18:30:00

I have a Hoover one - it has a 15 mins, 30 mins and 45 mins option and the standard wash is 1 hour 50 mins

MrsMummyPig Sun 06-Sep-15 18:30:28

The Beko has a pause button too. I use it often for the one sock that always seems to escape on the way to the washing machine and is discovered on the stairs only after I've pressed start.

PotteringAlong Sun 06-Sep-15 18:30:52

www.thewrightbuy.co.uk/hoover-dxc510w3-1-80-10kg-1500rpm-freestanding-washing-machine-in-white?gclid=CMmb1-b34scCFQVuGwodEhsNyA#fo_c=166&fo_k=adeb4aaf18d84e097771fea33ba51090&fo_s=gplauk

It's this one

rabbit123 Sun 06-Sep-15 18:36:12

PotteringAlong, 10kg and a 1500 spin seems a bit much for 1 elderly gent lol.

I'm just looking at a few Bosch machines online and every one I've looked at so far says the quick wash is only for half loads.

PausingFlatly Sun 06-Sep-15 18:42:34

The major energy consumption is in heating up the water.

Newer machines use less water (so less energy) and then allow the laundry to soak for longer. That's the reason the longer cycle is longer.

If you want to investigate this with your dad, get one of those plug-in power monitors (useful to have for yourself anyway, and some libraries lend them) and see how much different cycles take, and maybe compare to your own machine.

PausingFlatly Sun 06-Sep-15 18:44:52

That said, it may be useful to have a short wash so the carer can put the load on and hang it out in the one visit, depending what the visit-pattern is.

PausingFlatly Sun 06-Sep-15 18:45:53

With the power monitor, you could actually cost each wash and compare to a laundrette visit...

PotteringAlong Sun 06-Sep-15 20:33:47

I didn't think of that; I just know it's quick! smile

wowfudge Sun 06-Sep-15 20:44:58

The blurb does say that machine has a rapid wash programme. We have a Beko - very flexible as you can set different temperatures and spin speeds for most of the programmes, plus it has pre-wash, extra rinse, anti-crease and something else.

Lweji Sun 06-Sep-15 20:51:05

I have a Hotpoint that has a 15 min and 30 min cycle. It also has an overnight programme that he could set in the evening and collect in the morning.

Surely you can check the manual on the one you bought to see which cycle is fastest.

Hangingbasket14 Sun 06-Sep-15 22:12:03

I have the Beko mentioned by rabbits, it's very good, the 15 min cycle is more of a freshen up cycle though but perfectly sufficient for things that aren't really dirty. I tend to use the 'daily quick' cycles that start at 39 minutes for a 30degree wash and go upwards to 50degrees.

TheHouseofMirth Sun 06-Sep-15 22:24:38

My MIL has an Indesit which has a 15 minute programme which spins at the maximum speed. She uses that programme for everything.

cappy123 Thu 10-Sep-15 12:25:17

Thanks guys - apologies for the delay in replying, I've been embroiled in my dad's move and am packing with him now as we speak.

His machine is an Indesit 9kg IWE91281. I just found the online product description online and - I didn't imagine it - it does take 187 mins!

homesource4u.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=943

If anyone has this machine is there a much slower cycle (40-60mins)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now