Talk

Advanced search

Gtech Airram smells - what can I do?

(11 Posts)
doistayordoigo Thu 03-Sep-15 10:48:52

We bought a Gtech AirRam a month ago, and I've noticed that every time I use it there is an overpowering doggy smell that fills the air as soon as I start it up. We have a black labrador who sheds a ot, so obviously the AirRam is picking up a lot of smelly hair and this is obviously where the smell is coming from.

But how can I get rid of it? I already empty the tray after every use, so it's not as if the dog hair is sitting around in there between uses. If it had a bag I'd put something to counteract the smell in the bag but not sure that will work with a tray? Does anyone have any ideas?

Madbengalmum Thu 03-Sep-15 13:12:45

Had the same problem with my dog, you need to wash out the filters, it comes apart and wash the pads with soap and water and squeeze them out a few times whilst washing, they do take a while to dry if your radiators arent on, may need a day or so, then put it back together and no smell.
However, this will return after a few uses im afraid.

Madbengalmum Thu 03-Sep-15 13:15:36

Same problem with fluffy dog and gtech.
You need to wash put the filter pads with soapy water. Do this really well and dry out on a radiator or boiler, will need a day to dry though.
Then reassemble, there will be no smell.
You will have to do this every month or so as smell returns!

Madbengalmum Thu 03-Sep-15 13:16:05

Sorry, didnt think the first reply had worked!l

doistayordoigo Thu 03-Sep-15 16:12:05

Thanks, I'll try that. Do you think it would make a difference if, once the filters are dry, you sprayed them with a room spray or something, before putting them back in?

Madbengalmum Thu 03-Sep-15 19:20:54

No, tried that just wash them monthly

PigletJohn Fri 04-Sep-15 00:47:09

get a spare set of filters, then you can wash and dry one set, swap them back when you empty the cleaner.

I don't know your one, but it is useful to sponge out the inner casing to remove scurf, dander and dust. A sponge with WUL will do. Occasionally, prop it on the drainer, with the motor uppermost, and use a small paintbrush with WUL to clean out all the crevices and plastic mouldings. You can also immerse the head and hose, in the sink, and swish them about.

A cleaner with a bag, such as Miele, is I think easier to keep clean.

DuchessFanny Sat 05-Sep-15 11:52:51

Mine was so bad, even after washing that i had to buy new filters. Got them from amazon.

FinnMcCool Sat 05-Sep-15 11:56:47

I agree it's the filters. I've had the same problem.

Doromoro Wed 10-May-17 10:07:36

Concerning the doggy smell in g tech air ram. I got in touch with g tech and they have smelliest to fit inside for £9-95. Haven't sent for mine yet, so can't tell you if they work.

flipnflop Sun 10-Sep-17 11:12:04

I had the same problem, I'd bought a second-hand AirRam off eBay, not knowing its previous owner had a dog, and each time I used it the smell was horrible.

I gave the filters a thorough wash in hot soapy water, then left them for 3 days to dry. Gtech advise to leave at least 24 hours but the longer the better - if they are not completely dry, even the slightest dampness will produce an unpleasant smell. If possible let them dry naturally - don't put them on a radiator, as the outside might be dry but the inside might not be.

I cleaned the tray in hot soapy water, and the rest of the plastic with cleaning wipes.

Rather than buy the expensive own-brand Gtech fresheners, I bought cheap ones off Amazon (called The Vac Disc Vac Fresheners). They are circular discs that sit on top of the filter pads. I cut one disc in two, half a disc on the top each filter, and it has worked well for me. Horrible doggy smell has gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now