Talk

Advanced search

My clean washing smells like stinky feet - what's wrong with my drier?

(5 Posts)
Thankyouisntenough Mon 17-Aug-15 13:49:08

I've just taken the 2nd load out today and they smell of musty stinky feet. What am I doing wrong? What needs cleaning? Thanks.

PigletJohn Mon 17-Aug-15 14:54:00

If it's a condensor drier, they heat exchanger might be clogged. Some of them can be taken out and washed, or you might need a mender.

But I think more likely it is bacteria in your washer, living on old soap deposits.

Unless you already do it regularly, take out the pump filter and clean it, and give it a hot hot hot white cotton cycle with no powder or softener, and a cup of Washing Soda Crystals. (you can put white cotton towels in if you have them, they will not be harmed or fade). If the water foams up and goes cloudy, that is old soap sludge dissolving, do it again until it stays clean.

Thankyouisntenough Mon 17-Aug-15 15:14:23

Thank you piglet john. Can you tell me where the heat exchanger is and the pump filter? I'll do it now (I'm quite excited at the prospect!).

PigletJohn Mon 17-Aug-15 19:07:37

the pump filter of the washing machine is probably behind the kickplate, very low at the front, the cap unscrews and pulls out

the heat exchanger of a condensing drier, you will have to look at the instruction book. The warm steamy air blows through it, and can contain fragments of dust and fluff. Some makers claim they are self-cleaning, but they can get clogged with fluff. Not all are intended to be cleaned by the user. If your drier has a big hose blowing outside, it will not have a heat exchanger.

Thankyouisntenough Mon 17-Aug-15 20:52:44

All done! Just doing a test wash now. Thanks again for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now