Talk

Advanced search

Can I wash a sleeping bag?

(13 Posts)
GoodbyeToAllOfThat Sat 15-Aug-15 12:19:47

My kids just came back from camp, and I don't think dry cleaning will cut it. Fantastically muddy. Has anyone had any luck with this?

SavoyCabbage Sat 15-Aug-15 12:37:35

You sure can. They are made for muddy situations! I wash ours at sixty after school camps. They are filthy.

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 15-Aug-15 12:46:45

In principle, yes, but what size is your washing machine? Ours can only take 5kg max load, which means that the drum isn't big enough for an adult sleeping bag to move around and wash properly. So I have to take them to the launderette for a service wash.

Have a look at the care label. Depending on the filling, some may need soap rather than detergent, or liquid rather than powder, or mustn't have fabric conditioner, or must/mustn't be tumble-dried.

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Sat 15-Aug-15 12:59:47

Thanks, great to know. I have an 8KG so that should be OK?

Not only are they filthy, they are mildewed shock

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 15-Aug-15 20:07:23

8kg should be fine, but mildew is very bad news, especially for a padded item.

Hellionandfriends Sat 15-Aug-15 20:13:53

We always do. They have been washed often

MrsHathaway Sat 15-Aug-15 20:18:58

How the chuff did they get mildewy so fast?!

I have a 7kg machine and really struggled to ram a sleeping bag in. Warm up your biceps grin By the end of a 1600 spin they took up nearly none of the drum. There's a lot of air in a sleeping bag.

I think though it was the six hours plus on a washing line that will make the difference. Thorough dry in sunshine does for mildew and mould.

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Sat 15-Aug-15 20:24:21

They were away at camp for 4 nights and everything in their bag smells like mildew. They're hopeless when it comes to managing their stuff.

I'm nearly there, I'm just clearing out all the clothes and towels - bags tomorrow! thanks for the info.

Penfold007 Sat 15-Aug-15 20:53:50

Goodbye smells or actual has mildew? If it smells I'd wash in bio powder along with Zoflora. I'd then wash in Nikwax TX wash and re proof in the correct Nikwax product. Not trying to advertise one particular brand but always washing climbing gear.

In truth I'd dump the bag and buy a new one.

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Sun 16-Aug-15 17:15:57

Yes, Penfold the thought has crossed my mind. Bear in mind these are not expensive SBs, they were part of a tent package that we bought at Halfords donkey's years ago.

I am in awe of your niche soap product knowledge. What in the hell is Nikwax? Off to google.

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Sun 16-Aug-15 17:16:31

Oh and this naice summer camp had them sleeping in leaky tents, hence the mildew.

Penfold007 Sun 16-Aug-15 17:57:07

Goodbye if the sleeping bags are ancient cheap ones I'd bin (recycle) them and start again.

DS climbs mountains for fun so Nikwax for reproofing waterproofs, fleeces and down filled items are the norm in ChezPenfold. Don't get me started on Meals Ready to Eat!!!

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Sun 16-Aug-15 18:22:58

Given that they are cheap, I just chucked them in the wash and we'll see how they come out. They probably weren't even worth a MN thread.
thanks everyone
I'll let you know how we get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now