Talk

Advanced search

Cheesy reeking shirt

(9 Posts)
TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Fri 14-Aug-15 17:31:20

Ds came home from 2.5w in Japan, including 10days camping at the World Scouting Jamboree, with surprisingly non-reeky clothes. (Apparently he hand-washed a load of gear - twice in one week!)

Obviously, it's all gone through the wash in any case. But there's one item that is truly foul, and it's an important item so I can't just bin it: his uniform shirt. Even though it's been treated with Vanish, and vinegar, and had pre-wash as well as regular wash plus oxy-bleach, it still reeks. Only now it no longer reeks of teenage sweat, but smells disgustingly cheesy.

Help?

PigletJohn Fri 14-Aug-15 18:25:23

hang it out in the sun for a couple of days.

Is it some kind of high-polyester fabric?

Badges can be unstitched and moved to a new shirt.

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Fri 14-Aug-15 18:27:37

Sun? What sun?

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Fri 14-Aug-15 18:29:09

It's 65% polyester 35% cotton.

LongLankyLegs Fri 14-Aug-15 18:29:16

Soda crystals?

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Sat 15-Aug-15 13:02:46

Do you have any Vanish Extra Hygiene? I started buying this because of my husband's god-awful workout gear and I can't really be without it now. It's quite a bit more expensive than regular Vanish.

dannydyerismydad Sat 15-Aug-15 13:12:34

Hand wash well with Fairy washing up liquid (for plates, not clothes).

Then wash in the washing machine as usual.

The fairy liquid will remove and dissolve the fat causing the smell.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 15-Aug-15 13:18:09

leave it out to be rained on. It may take a couple of days but should leave it smelling a lot fresher

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 15-Aug-15 20:05:10

Washing up liquid is a good idea. I'll do that next (I hope not!) Yesterday I bought bio detergent and Dettox laundry stuff. Soaked the shirt overnight in bio, then washed it and Dettoxed it, now it's pegged out - and I've gone away, so it'll get 3days of weather on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now