Paint, emulsión, on new jeans.

(12 Posts)
AdoraBell Wed 12-Aug-15 18:44:44

What should I use to get this white emulsión of my new dark jeans? Haven't put anything on it yet, but would it wash off or do I need some secret trick? It has dried.

TIA

wowfudge Wed 12-Aug-15 18:55:21

Can you gently scrape any of it off with your nails or a dinner knife? Dampen with cold water - do not use warm or hot water - and keep rinsing to try to remove the paint. The issue is that it is on new, dark jeans - if you rub or scrape too hard you risk removing the dye from a patch of denim. Paint is always easier to remove before it has dried.

If you think you have removed some of the paint, put some neat washing up liquid onto the remaining mark. Gently work it into the fabric then wash the jeans on a cool or warm wash with bio powder.

There's a temptation to use a really hot wash thinking it has improved cleaning power. The reality is that the heat just fixes the stain.

If you find there's a patch which is noticeably paler once the paint has gone you can always dye the jeans.

AdoraBell Wed 12-Aug-15 19:26:41

Thanks, will try that.

JamHoneyMarmite Wed 12-Aug-15 19:33:06

PP beat me to it. Was also going to say washing up liquid but very very gently!

PigletJohn Wed 12-Aug-15 20:06:55

you should have thrown them in water immediately, which will dilute the emulsion paint and prevent them drying until you had time to put it in the washer. Start wetting them now, and keep them wet.

Emulsion does soften in warm water, and even better in meths, but once it has dried it is likely to leave a stain. You can mix the meths with WUL so it evaporates more slowly.

it can take more than a day to harden on e.g. windows, during which time you can rub it away with WUL and a rag, but it dries faster on clothes. I think it will help to work the WUL in with a brush. Don't let them dry until all the paint has gone that is going to.

BikeRunSki Wed 12-Aug-15 20:09:48

Emulsion should come our if you soak it in warm water and agitate it a bit. Don't rub hard or you will take the dye out too.

AdoraBell Wed 12-Aug-15 22:22:04

Yep, Piglet I thought that too but I didn't see it until it was dry. I'll see what I can do, and be a lot more careful in future blush

PigletJohn Wed 12-Aug-15 23:21:27

ha ha, when I was young and foolish I dropped a can of red emulsion paint and it burst open and drenched the trousers of my best pin-stripe suit.

I put them in water and took them to the dry-cleaners who grumbled but cleaned them perfectly. Spot-cleaners have a battery of various solvents for difficult stains.

FunnyNameHere Wed 12-Aug-15 23:24:21

Emulsiòn sounds so much pösher than it rêålly is.

AdoraBell Fri 14-Aug-15 10:56:26

grin that was my Chilean iPad, I've worked out how to make it speak English now.

wowfudge Fri 14-Aug-15 15:57:19

Did you get the paint off the jeans?

AdoraBell Thu 03-Sep-15 21:56:45

Yes! I ended up soaking them for ages, forgot them for a couple of days tbh, and then washed them in cold water and the paint came out.

Thanks again for all the helpsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now