Talk

Advanced search

help! kitchen sink blocked...

(4 Posts)
Emiliasmumtobe Sun 09-Aug-15 10:04:30

...and just found washer dryer in kitchen (next to sink) full of water.

Ive managed to pump out the water and I am putting lotd of soda crystals down the sink with boiling water. Anything else I can do to unblock sink which is clearly also blocking pipe to washer dryer?

I should add that I am (clearly) useless at this sort of thing.

PigletJohn Sun 09-Aug-15 12:51:31

If anybody ever puts tealeaves or cooking fat down the sink, chop their hands off.

Also, look at the flexible waste hose from the washer. It sounds like it attaches to the sink trap. The hose has to loop up so that the top of the loop is higher than the water level in a full sink. One way is to put a cup-hook in the side of the unit and tie it up with a piece of string; or just feed it through a very high notch or hole in the unit side.

I recommend you do an empty, highest temperature wash with powder and washing soda to clean the sink much out of your washer. Clean the washer filter before and after.

PigletJohn Sun 09-Aug-15 12:59:39

p.s.

Start with a sink plunger or (better) a sink pump. Get your assistant to press a damp sponge tightly against the overflow hole or the pressure will escape.

If the sink trap still blocked, PUT AN EMPTY BUCKET UNDER IT FIRST then unscrew it with the big knurled ring. It will either be roughly "U" shaped or have a round-bottomed bowl about the size of a jamjar. If you are lucky the blockage will be in the trap. If it is in the pipe you might be able to poke it out with a Plumbers Snake.

Do not empty the bucket down the sink because you will have forgotten to put the trap back so it will all gush out.

Washing soda and boiling water are good for removing grease from traps and waste pipes. Leave it overnight to work before running more water that will wash it away. Avoid caustic soda which is different, and will burn holes in your skin, clothes, eyeballs or stomach.

Emiliasmumtobe Sun 09-Aug-15 17:57:27

Thank you PigletJohn!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now