Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend something for cleaning a stainless steel fridge please?

(12 Posts)
LolaCrapola Thu 06-Aug-15 07:06:30

I have tried to clean with water (as instructions say not to use products), I have also tried fairy liquid but it still seems to show the marks...

And I know baby oil has been recommended but does it actually clean stainless steel surfaces or just polish them?

Any product recommendations please?

PigletJohn Thu 06-Aug-15 10:25:01

why is it dirty? Food splashes? Watermarks? Dust?

Mutt Thu 06-Aug-15 10:28:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chemenger Thu 06-Aug-15 10:29:46

I use spray cleaner. As long as it isn't abrasive there should not be a problem, stainless steel is very robust. Then polish with baby oil. What confuses me is that I was taught in my dimly remembered material science class that you tell the difference between stainless steel and normal steel by testing with a magnet - stainless is not magnetic. So how do the fridge magnets stick to my "stainless steel" fridge....

Chopchopbusybusy Thu 06-Aug-15 10:46:14

I use method stainless steel spray cleaner. It cleans and then polishes. I know people say use baby oil but I don't find it removes the marks.

PigletJohn Thu 06-Aug-15 12:37:25

Some stainless is magnetic, and some isn't. Depends on the alloy. I was disappointed to find I couldn't put fridge magnets on my bionic leg, but my cook's knives stick to a magnetic rack.

If you have water marks, don't use an acid cleaner (which may corrode stainless or cause rust spots). After cleaning, polish off the water with a damp vest soft cotton cloth, like leathering off a car. A sponge with water and half a drop of WUL will get most dirt off. Rub in the direction of the brushing, and never in circles, which will show as they catch the light.

DrElizabethPlimpton Thu 06-Aug-15 12:39:36

I use an damp e cloth (other microfibres clothes etc etc) I find this does the job admirably.

rainbowunicorn Thu 06-Aug-15 14:37:47

I use a dry microfibre cloth daily for wiping away fingermarks etc and any more stubborn marks such as food splashes a slightly damp microfibre cloth then buffed with a dry.
I tried the oil method on my stainless steel cooker and found it left a residue that seemed to attract dust making it look and feel dirt and stick after a while. However that may well have been me doing it wrong grin

LolaCrapola Fri 07-Aug-15 21:25:30

Food splashes, watermarks and fingerprints mainly.

I used diluted fairy liquid and the polished with fry light spray oil - came up a treat with scant oily residue!

Katiebeau Fri 07-Aug-15 21:27:22

Method granite cleaner. Wipe it off with a soft cloth. Dirt is removed but no smears!!

soloula Sat 08-Aug-15 16:19:34

Fairy liquid on a soft cloth then wipe with baby wipes and buff with a dry soft cloth or tissues. I used to use baby oil on my hob but felt that no matter how little oil I used and how well I buffed it after I still had a teeny bit of residue that would attract dust really easily. Use baby wipes now as they still have a teeny bit of oil but seem to leave much less residue smile

needsomefeckingprivacy Sat 08-Aug-15 16:41:58

Chromol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now