Need help - am overwhelmed with cleaning house.(12 Posts)
I find if you are cooking every single meal time, that creates more cleaning! So what I do is cook two amounts of a meal at a time, freeze, and then every other day I'm not cooking. This means the kitchen mess is minimal and you can get on with laundry or something else. Also, I tackle bathroom first thing every day just before my shower. It isn't perfect, but a squirt on toilet seat, wipe with kitchen roll, squirt down loo, sponge wipe the sink and bath with some cif. Then I only have to mop once a week to keep it looking good. That's all I have!
Great plan oddity.
I buy packs of anti bac wipes cheap from the pins shop. I wipe down as I go with those and Hoover crumbs with the handheld vac. It means I only do a 'big clean' once a week
Delegate to other household members?
Cleaning though.... Clean the whole bathroom including the toilet just before having a shower. It's a habit I got into a while ago so now I barely notice it. Since most of use shower most days, when you're on top of it it just needs a bit of a wipe really.
As has been suggested already
Also fill sink with hot soapy water and wash up as you go along. Refresh and everybody old enough can scrape and wash their plate straight after eating.
Hi OP, I have 2 kiddies as well, one on the way and four dogs and this is how my day to day cleaning goes....
When I wake I NEED A CUPPA, otherwise the kids won't be getting looked after let alone the house, and while I'm there I plan what needs to be done BEFORE the children wake.
I start with the bathroom, a clean it everyday and that way I can keep on top, I keep my laundry by the machine so any clothes put in the floor are straight out the night before, all toiletries are put away as I can give a quick clean with clutter everywhere.
If kids are awake I make beds, then anything that is out of place, I.e odd toys, then they go on the bed or put in the correct box. Same as my room anything out of place Weill be put on the made bed so I can get in unless it's all away and everything is off the floor.
Because I don't let anything be in the floor or on the sides (always on the bed) I can easily to a quick polish and hover
I am the same as you, I can not get on a do the small jobs unless the house is in a clean tidy state, I actually wish I wasn't like that because Hingis get put off and put off x oh I used to do a wash of laundry everyday but now I dedicate one day of the weekend to do it all as my husband is not at work and he can have the kids while getting stuck in. I change all bed sheets Sunday night as I feel I'm ready to start the week after a lovely sleep in my clean sheets, nothing beats clean sheets lol
I hear ya.
In our house it's a discipline thing - we don't have enough of it. We do put stuff away but the last 5% tends to get left out, and it builds up over time until there are piles everywhere. What I think I should do is:
1) devote 10 mins to a bedtime 'potter' each night, putting away oddments, clearing the decks for tomorrow. Especially in the kitchen, where it's so easy to leave out the oil or the spices. It all builds up.
2) there is a list on ApartmentTherapy, something like how to keep your house clean in 20mins a day. It's basically a list of 30 tasks, mainly 'clean room x', and you do one every day. More lived in rooms get done multiple times, less used rooms just once. If a room falls on a day when you have time, do a decent job. If not, just do the minimum and don't stress, it'll come round again on a different day of the week.
3) delegation. Schedule in meals your DH can cook, get the DC to put their clothes away, vacuum, wipe the table etc.
4) Put the dishwasher on early evening then empty it before bed. I never seem to find time in the morning so our day starts with washing up piling up on the work surfaces.
5) Double cook as PP said. We just eat the same meal 2 nights in a row. It saves meal planning effort, and I think it reduces our food bills because it simplifies our shopping list enormously.
I love the idea of keeping the floor clear, it would help immensely with the cleaning... sadly I just don't think I have the skills!
It sounds like your bathroom needs a declutter. Minimal bottles out really helps. Anything you use less than twice a week, put it in a cupboard or another room.
Oh and at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, find some really easy quick meals to cook. I have a Good Housekeeping book of quick family suppers, and you can google 'easiest ever pizza', 'easy fast paella' etc to get some really pared down ideas. You can always add bits and ideas in from other recipes. Have a hotdog night or bought pizza night.
When my house was under control, I stuck to a rota :
Tuesday: lounge & dining
Friday: dust & Hoover
Since I dropped the rota (all sorts of reasons) the house has got out of hand & I am planning to reinstate the rota otherwise it looks like it's too much! A little every day has got to be better than getting fed up & blitzing once every 6 months!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.