Talk

Advanced search

Frickin' bluebottles in my cooker hood!

(6 Posts)
FrostyJanet Mon 03-Aug-15 13:16:24

I have a stainless steel cooker hood thingy (suspended from the middle of the ceiling over a kitchen island)

And have just realised there are DISGUSTING house flies buzzing around in there!!

I've removed the panels and 4 flew out! But the inside and outside of the hood are clean - what can I do?

If they're coming from my cooker hood, they might be getting in via the loft? I doubt they'd crawl up there deliberately as it's clean, so no reason.

Now really don't want to check in the loft :-(

Any suggestions welcome - I'm thinking I can put fly paper in my cooker hood?

PigletJohn Tue 04-Aug-15 00:54:20

how often do you clean (or replace) the grease filter?

PigletJohn Tue 04-Aug-15 00:55:39

... and is the duct run to the outside of the house? If you mean it vents into the loft, that is disgusting and very bad practice.

verystressedmum Tue 04-Aug-15 07:56:55

Is it not vented to outside? If you switched it on would the flies not just be sucked out of the vent? Or are they not powerful enough..no idea.
Ours is vented to outside and there's some sort of mesh over the hole then a grill thing over it on the outside wall. Maybe get some mesh stuff put it over the hole on the pipe so nothing can get in.

FrostyJanet Tue 04-Aug-15 08:25:42

It's vented outside but via the loft as it's in the middle of the room in the kitchen, not against an outside wall, if that makes sense. So was wondering if there might be gaps or something where they can get in?

It doesn't have a grease filter, just stainless steel panels that get put in the dishwasher - they are definitely clean.

I have been switching it on but not sure it's powerful enough - but I will have to try and check re. Mesh, though will be tricky as our kitchen is on first floor - hmmm

PigletJohn Tue 04-Aug-15 10:12:22

the metal mesh panels should be trapping grease.

The loft duct might be flexible convoluted hose, which is quick and easy to lay but not very good. Rigid duct is much better and does not trap grime and condensation, it can be sloped slightly so that any condensation runs outside.

the flexible can get damaged and might fall off connectors unless clips have been used (many people just poke it into place or use sticky tape)

If there are no gaps, tears or loose joints, a fly can only have got in through your hood or through the terminal vent outside. However they do not like going into dark places. The terminal vent should have a cowl, flap or grille to keep out wildlife. Vents are readymade to fit the duct and just need a couple of screws. If not there is chance a bird or something might have got in. Have a look. Binoculars or a zoom camera may help.

Your ducts might be 125mm or 150mm rather than the more common 100mm used on small fans. Check before buying anything. If the extractor has a large port, it is better to use duct of the same size for better flow and less noise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now