Talk

Advanced search

blocked toilet

(15 Posts)
RavioliOnToast Mon 03-Aug-15 13:05:53

my loo looks like it's blocked. it's not blocked by anything visible but the water won't go down. does anyone know what I could do about it? grin

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 03-Aug-15 13:18:50

Have you got a wire coat hanger? If so, unravel it, make a loop at the end so there's nothing sharp to scratch the toilet enamel with, and poke it vigorously up and down round the bend.

That should sort it.

Delilahfandango Mon 03-Aug-15 13:21:33

My DH chucks a bucket of water down ours! I guess he waits until the water level has dropped though! I tend not to get involved tbh!

Epilepsyhelp Mon 03-Aug-15 13:34:05

If you have the banned-on-mumsnet horror item that is a loo brush you can use it with a plunger type action quite vigorously under the water (as far into the pipe as poss) and it should clear the blockage if it's not serious.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Aug-15 13:36:50

Lots of buckets of hot water from a height, keep doing it u till it clears.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Aug-15 13:37:09

Loo brush as a plunger also works well grin

donyourway Mon 03-Aug-15 18:09:06

Caustic soda.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Aug-15 18:10:15

Iirc you don't put anything down a blocked toilet in case it backs up even more or you have to get your hands down there for a rummage.

toldmywrath Mon 03-Aug-15 18:11:21

You can use a strong black bin liner (sort of ballooned up-get air in & tie tightly) as a plunger. Our plumber friend recommended this when our dd put loads of kitchen roll down the loo.

RavioliOnToast Mon 03-Aug-15 18:26:16

I have caustic soda. how do I use this?

RavioliOnToast Mon 03-Aug-15 18:26:46

will try the buckets of water thing first though.

the water is draining away eventually. it's just taking bloody ages

donyourway Mon 03-Aug-15 19:04:29

Just pour some caustic soda down the loo and leave overnight. Make sure you wear gloves though its very corrosive to skin.

RavioliOnToast Mon 03-Aug-15 19:56:52

it worked with a toilet brush thing covered with a carrier bag used as a plunger! grin

ilovechristmas1 Tue 04-Aug-15 19:50:02

also for future reference a mop with a bin bag over is really good and you dont have to get to near

RavioliOnToast Tue 04-Aug-15 21:20:44

thanks Christmas it still didn't look like it was blocked with anything though. just water that wouldn't go down grin grin no poo-namis thankfully!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now