Talk

Advanced search

need more freezer space - chest freezer or upright freezer

(6 Posts)
teamB2011 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:31:04

we have space in kitchen for both if we move tumble drier under the stairs in that cupboard. just wondering which freezer people prefer for overspill food that is not needed on daily basis.

Donge13 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:37:27

I have a spare upright, im to lazy for a chest,i know i would just chuck things in and never be able to find them!hmm

craftysewer Sun 02-Aug-15 21:02:55

We have a small chest freezer as an overflow and like Donge13 I can never find anything in it. Also, was thinking today, that if it was an upright, I could then store items on top of it which I can't with the chest one.

teamB2011 Sun 02-Aug-15 21:26:54

thanks - have you ever seen an upright freezer with shelves all the way down the door? need it to stock soups etc

FeelingSmurfy Sun 02-Aug-15 21:30:50

Chest freezer probably holds more but we decided to get a second upright freezer as I know that whatever was on the top of the chest freezer would be used and replaced and the stuff halfway or lower would never see the light of day again

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 05-Aug-15 23:21:20

Put "chest freezer organising" into Pinterest grin people use baskets, sturdy bags and a list system so you don't lose anything.

This lady is super organised and this is how she did hers.

I have an overflow larder freezer and all the drawers have stickers on so I know where to find stuff.

My top tips are use a large gallon ziplock bag to freeze mince, and roll the mince flat with a rolling pin to fill the bag, it stacks easier and defrosts faster. Chicken breasts - I put two in a quart ziplock, seal it, separate them so one is at the top of the bag and one at the bottom. Means if you need a single chicken breast it isn't glued to another. We bulk buy from Costco so need 2 freezers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now