Talk

Advanced search

How do you store your vegetables?

(23 Posts)
Keenoonvino Sat 01-Aug-15 07:18:23

We are designing a new kitchen and im wondering whether it makes sense to add in some of them those veg baskets you can pull out? I don't particularly like the look of them, but I know it's important to have something that lets the air circulate around. At the moment we have a free standing veg rack that I obviousy don't want to keep....

Wondering what others do for onions, potatoes etc......

afreshstartplease Sat 01-Aug-15 07:21:00

Mine are in the fridge although probably shouldn't be

arnieschwartzsnogger Sat 01-Aug-15 07:42:09

I put potatoes, onions and garlic in the cupboard. Everything else goes in the fridge. Probably not the right advice though...

VulcanWoman Sat 01-Aug-15 07:50:11

I do the same as you arnie.
I would like to know how I can get potatoes to last longer though, they're not next to the onions/garlic, I'm lucky if the potatoes last a week before going soft.
OP, I wouldn't bother with the baskets if you're not keen.

afreshstartplease Sat 01-Aug-15 07:54:41

Potatoes last longer in the fridge

MadauntofA Sat 01-Aug-15 08:00:19

Potatoes in a cupboard inside a dark bag (got mine from pound shop) and an apple inside - was amazed at how long they last! I do the same for onions but in a different bag

Fatrascals Sat 01-Aug-15 08:01:41

Markingplace

mindblank2014 Sat 01-Aug-15 08:05:34

Everything in the fridge incl potatoes. Most of the labels say its best in the fridge apart from Bananas.

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 01-Aug-15 08:12:23

In these special green bags that keep them fresh longer. In the fridges

Janethegirl Sat 01-Aug-15 08:14:24

In the fridge except bananas and things that need to ripen a bit like pineapples, melons, peaches etc

nbee84 Sat 01-Aug-15 08:18:03

I've read before that you shouldn't keep potatoes in the fridge but having tried keeping them in a cupboard i find mine keep better and for longer in the fridge. Always keep onions separate from potatoes.

VulcanWoman Sat 01-Aug-15 14:51:58

Thanks for the potato tips, will have to try both ideas.

Janethegirl Sat 01-Aug-15 18:53:42

My onions and potatoes share the same basket in the fridge, why wouldn't they?

Keenoonvino Sat 01-Aug-15 19:03:46

Interesting that everyone keeps them in the fridge! I always thought it was a no-no putting onions/ potatoes/garlic in the fridge.... What do the bags do if the food is in the fridge?

Pipbin Sat 01-Aug-15 20:27:33

I have bags for potatoes and onions. They hang from hooks on the towel rail.

Janethegirl Sat 01-Aug-15 21:50:28

Onions and potatoes are often together in my fridge and are bagless. I have never found this to be an issue. What is meant to happen?

ComfySensibleShoes Mon 03-Aug-15 11:35:29

I use these potato preserving bags from Lakeland, I don't think I would bother with those pull out baskets

www.lakeland.co.uk/search/veg%2Bbag

mistymeanour Tue 04-Aug-15 10:55:45

I think with onions it is about the smell "tainting" other foods if they are cut (and not wrapped). I read that potatoes can loose their vitamin content in the fridge. I keep mine in a cool dark cupboard in a basket - I don't have room in my fridge for them.

Chips1999 Tue 04-Aug-15 10:58:49

All of my vegetables go in the fridge, except potatoes which I just keep on the side of the work surface.

I keep grapes and strawberries in the fridge, and other fruit such as bananas, apples and oranges in a fruit bowl on the table.

Valsoldknickers Tue 04-Aug-15 11:00:34

MadauntofA what does an apple in with potatoes do for the potatoes (is this a storage trick or am I being a bit thick?!)

Awaits punchline from witty MNetters....

MadauntofA Tue 04-Aug-15 13:37:23

I'm not sure Val, But I remember reading it somewhere and trying it and it made a difference to my potatoes - last much longer before they sprout and the apple just seems to go a bit wrinkly, doesn't rot. Don't put your soft fruit in the fridge - it may last a bit longer but tastes nothing like the fruit that you leave out - I tend to eat the strawberries within a couple of days of buying them or freeze when they are v ripe for smoothies

MadauntofA Tue 04-Aug-15 13:41:53

Just googled and found out that apples produce ethylene gas which prevents the potatoes from sprouting so can last weeks longer. The gas does encourage other fruit to go off quicker so ideally apples should not be in your fruit bowl with lots of other fruit unless you want them the ripen quicker - a bit like bananas it seems!

Valsoldknickers Tue 04-Aug-15 16:58:31

Thanks Madaunt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now