Talk

Advanced search

Washing powder deposits on dark cotton clothes...

(15 Posts)
Draylon Fri 31-Jul-15 12:55:45

Sorry, I know this has been 'done' before but...

How to avoid them?

What causes them?

I use Lidl's Formil, at 40 degrees C, normal, not quick wash; I use a reasonable scoop of powder (we have a water softener). But I've just ha dto put about a third of the wash back in on a rinse cycle as there was so much of the white deposit visible on the grey and black T shirts etc.

Any thoughts?

TIA

ItsAll Fri 31-Jul-15 13:00:14

Use less washing powder? Don't you need to use less because of the water softener anyway?

mummypig3 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:04:58

Less powder and don't over fill the drum

Draylon Fri 31-Jul-15 13:05:20

Counter-intuitively, I seem to recall someone saying once that maybe one needed to use more powder if you're getting residue? Can't remember the logic!

I have stopped using 30 degrees and fast washes already.

TeamBacon Fri 31-Jul-15 13:06:34

We get this with formil too. Can you add an extra rinse and see if that makes a difference, and run a service wash? MN always recommends a service wash. With soda crystals.

TeamBacon Fri 31-Jul-15 13:07:02

YY to not overfilling the drum. For a while this only happened with DH's clothes, and realised it was because it was stuffing in lots.

BumWad Fri 31-Jul-15 13:08:36

Clean your machine on a 90 degree wash with nothing in it

Draylon Fri 31-Jul-15 13:08:57

Please tell me how to do a service wash! I have soda crystals ready to go!

Am am now wondering whether I did over-fill the machine this time, actually...

bishboschone Fri 31-Jul-15 13:18:15

Use liquid .. It's much better for darks .

TeamBacon Fri 31-Jul-15 13:46:22

Erm.. I just shove in 1/3 bag of soda crystals and put it on a long 60deg wash.

Featherbluedot Fri 31-Jul-15 13:59:08

Stop using powder and use liquid. I use Ariel and always stock up in the sales. I use soda crystals in my white wash which also helps keep the machine clean.

Featherbluedot Fri 31-Jul-15 14:00:26

I started using liquid after my drain got blocked with powder which hadn't dissolved in the washing machine. Haven't used it since.

Orangeanddemons Fri 31-Jul-15 14:02:26

Liquid creates slimey deposits rather than powder. Powder is more abrasive so helps get the washing and the machine cleaner. I never use liquid

PolterGoose Fri 31-Jul-15 15:03:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rabbit123 Fri 31-Jul-15 15:47:47

In soft water, you only need to use about 40-50ml of powder. Try reducing your dosage and also make sure you can still fit your hand in the top of the drum when it's full.

Also, does your machine do 2 or 3 rinses as standard? If it only does 2, try using extra rinse.

I would strongly advise not switching to liquid. Powder is much better and keeps your machines internals clean as well as the clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now